OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Remote Backups / Vzdump
icon5.gif  Remote Backups / Vzdump [message #34124] Fri, 05 December 2008 00:01 Go to next message
canfone is currently offline  canfone
Hi There,

We run very large VE's. We are having some issues with backups. Although the LVM snapshots are clearly the best solution. For a number of reasons with disk space on our servers we need to have backups initiated and files streamed to the backup server itself, instead of having the backup done locally and then moved off the server. Virtuozzo's vzbackup has a configuration such as this supporting a dedicated backup node.

I have been reading up and researching and it appears that there are performance issues and issues with context locking with using NFS in a vzdump --suspend mode. I have seen some indication that a sshfs file system mount may work well.

What I am wondering is what would be the result of simply running rsnapshot (rsync) of the /vz partition from a remote backup server. Are there going to be issues rsyncing database files or files that change during the rsync that could cause inconsistencies and if so are there strategies to overcome this?

Many thanks,
Re: Remote Backups / Vzdump [message #34138 is a reply to message #34124] Sun, 07 December 2008 10:06 Go to previous message
canfone is currently offline  canfone
We are looking at using vzmigrate to facilitate backups over the network but not actually migrate the node. I am looking into the vzmigrate shell script...
Previous Topic: openvz memory dump format (chkpnt/restore) - forensic analysis
Next Topic: Curious about physpages vs RSS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 16:27:39 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01724 seconds