OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » debian-systs.org mirror
debian-systs.org mirror [message #31927] Mon, 14 July 2008 20:33
Aefron is currently offline  Aefron
Howdy !

First of all, I absolutely must thank a lot for OpenVZ, and noticeably Thorsten Schifferdeck, for its Etch designed packages. To be honest, I registered having in mind to join him through a private message, to ask a few questions, but he does not accept those... no more than he leaves a mail to contact him... so, I hope he ends up reading this, or somebody that could get in touch with him can transmit the request.

I have been using VServer until now, with the official packages from Debian, but I discover OpenVZ with pleasure, noticeably with the far better network virtualization (VServer actually only does isolation on this point).

There is still something I wanted to ask, about debian-systs.org repository (though I use the mirror at download.openvz.org, to avoid being a burden upon bandwith) : could the "main" component also be filled, instead of just the "openvz" one ?

My point is in making Debian custom CD's with simple-cdd, that would include the last fza kernel and tools packages ; and the problem is that it cannot use packages from other components than main, contrib and non-free...

OpenVZ official ones in http://download.openvz.org/debian are in a "main" component, but I'm rather interested in the fza ones.

I also could certainly go over FAI, but it is totally overweighted for what I want to do (a networkless CD installation), and not interactive-friendly : at some point, I would like to craft deb packages to install containers, and not only containers template, with firewall scripts and so on, relying on debconf to ask such things as network config and puppestmasterd address. Toward this matter, debian-installer would be the easiest way, if I could get a direct acces to this repo from it (well... I can : an extra mirror can be specified ; but it will refuse to include anything coming from an "openvz" component)...

Making a debian package of the gpg key of this repo would also be a really cool thing, as one could more easily install it, before the first boot, and have it aknowledged from the start (it is already possible to do it as a postinst or preinst task, through a manual apt-key, but having a package do it would be easier).

So, to sum it up, I hope I will not annoy anyone if I ask if these two things were possible :

- access to the repo using the "deb http://debian.systs.org/debian etch main" line in a sources.list as well as with "deb http://debian.systs.org/debian etch openvz", and also have download.openvz.org mirror it ;
- make a deb of the public GPG of this repo, and include this one in it ;

Those two things would ease the process of installing an OpenVZ enabled Debian machine from scratch and even without relying upon some network connectivity to do it. One could even make packages depending on templates and vzctl, asking IP addresses and such through debconf as I said, include those on the CD, and just have to check boxes if they would like a Bind9 server, an Exim4 remailer, or whatever you typically need on your site, each in its container and ready to be puppeted by a declared puppetmasterd for advanced settings, right from the first boot.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 July 2008 00:36]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Make template...now I can't ssh into server...?
Next Topic: SME server template with openvz
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 15 15:20:19 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04371 seconds