OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Access TVcard from vps?
Access TVcard from vps? [message #31456] Tue, 01 July 2008 05:33 Go to next message
argh is currently offline  argh
I'm about to install mythtv backend in a VPS, and add my Terratec Cinergy 1200 dvb-s card to the server.
As far as I can figure out it should be possible to access /dev/dvb on the HN from the vps by using something like vzctl set CTID --devnodes /dev/dvb:rw --save.

Is this at all possible? Anything I should watch out for?
Re: Access TVcard from vps? [message #31481 is a reply to message #31456] Tue, 01 July 2008 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi,

Have you bumped into any problems?
I think it should work.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 July 2008 12:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Access TVcard from vps? [message #31930 is a reply to message #31481] Tue, 15 July 2008 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It works perfectly. I've exposed the dvb-related devices to the VPS, and mythtv-backend handles them without any problems.
Re: Access TVcard from vps? [message #32967 is a reply to message #31930] Thu, 11 September 2008 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spoke too fast.
It works good on low-bitrate streams (e.g zone horror, zone reality), but once I load up a medium-bitrate stream (e.g ITV2, BBC 1 London) the card can't keep up, and produce bit-errors.

Tested the card on a separate p4 2.4 ghz, same install of MythBuntu - no bit-errors.

Something(DMA)? Is destroying the datastream from the card.

My device - string:
DEVNODES="dvb/adapter0/ca0:rw dvb/adapter0/demux0:rw dvb/adapter0/dvr0:rw dvb/ad
apter0/frontend0:rw dvb/adapter0/net0:rw"

Tech:
Amd x2 4400+
8 Gb Ram
1,5 TB Sata2 HDD (3x500G)
Terratec Cinergy 1200 S Pci.

Does anyone have some good advice?
I'd really like this to work!

The last thing I'm going to try is to change pci-slot on the AMD.
If that does not work - Mythbuntu on bare metal; virt by KVM.
Re: Access TVcard from vps? [message #32997 is a reply to message #32967] Tue, 16 September 2008 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darrenm is currently offline  darrenm
Did you get anywhere with this? May be too late but it may be worth fiddling with the PCI latency in the BIOS although that should affect the host OS too.
Re: Access TVcard from vps? [message #33183 is a reply to message #32997] Fri, 26 September 2008 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well.. actually I did.. in a way. Smile
I tuned the bios, tried all the pci-slots and installed ubuntu on bare-metal. The problem did not disappear.

In my other PC (Dell optiplex GX260): No problem. No errors.

So I bought 2 TwinHans from Dealextreme ($41 a piece) - put them in the amd X2 server, and voila. The driver reports crazy errors, and basically 3% signal rate, but it works. Perfect picture.

So it looks as if the NEO motherboard and the terratec dislikes one another. Smile

Next step (today) is to install ProxMox 0.9 b2 again, and set up mythbuntu in a VPS. That'll give me a virtualized Mythbackend with 2 Sat-cards, and a secondary backend with 1 card. (total of 3 streams + 3 recordings completely independent. Smile )

If that works... everything is brilliant. Smile

Will report back. Smile
(Maybe time for a howto?)

Re: Access TVcard from vps? [message #34337 is a reply to message #33183] Wed, 24 December 2008 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MeneM is currently offline  MeneM
Oh yes please, a howto on installing mythbuntu inside a VPS would be excellent!

Be sure to include how you've setup the satelites!
Re: Access TVcard from vps? [message #34867 is a reply to message #33183] Mon, 09 February 2009 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well - I've had mythbuntu working under openvz for a long time now; no problem.
3 DVB-S cards, all ok.
I'll compile a howto as soon as I get some spare time.

The basics:
- ubuntu 8.10 template
- apt-get install mythbuntu-desktop
- remove udev
- Edit the VEID.conf - add Devnodes(tv-cards) **
- Use Myth / XBMC on clients

regards argh
Re: Access TVcard from vps? [message #35110 is a reply to message #31456] Sun, 01 March 2009 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbhenry is currently offline  bbhenry
Wow , this is exciting, I have been wanting to run media center inside a container for a while. Please do share how you get it to work. and once I can lay my hands on a working model. I can be sharing more information with people who share the same interest.

By the way, are your just using the TV tuner to record video? where are you displaying the programs you want to watch? on another computer?
Re: Access TVcard from vps? [message #35118 is a reply to message #35110] Mon, 02 March 2009 22:07 Go to previous message
Well - it's not that hard really.

I've got 3 tuners installed on my server. These are all exposed to my container by the DEVNODES parameter. Basically I expose all the nodes in /dev/dvb (in the xxx.conf file).

I've installed a container with ubuntu 8.10 minimal openvz template, and then run apt-get install mythtv-server.

After that I install Freenx in the container, and connect to it to run mythtv-setup. Make sure the /dev/dvb/* are rw to the mythtv user. (Can also be done without freenx; if you're running X on another pc. (I'd love a text-based mythtv-setup!!))

I go through the setup, scan for channels on all cards and open the backend for remote access. (Set ip to real ip (not localhost), set pin to 0000).

As clients I use pc's with XBMC atlantis -> www.xbmc.org. (Native myth - support)

I have 2 clients running windows and xbmc, one running linux + xbmc and an xbox running xbmc. I also use mythtvplayer on my laptops. Currently working on getting easy access to video / livetv from my PDA and mobile.

I use mythtv as my only source of livetv - and sto schedule recordings.

As promised - I'll make a true howto; but it's gonna take some time. Small annoyances like work, wife and children tend to take up much of my time. Smile
Previous Topic: upgrade kernel to see more than 4GB RAM
Next Topic: OpenVZ Clustering
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:48:59 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01719 seconds