OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Testing of Linux-2.6.24-openvz
icon5.gif  Testing of Linux-2.6.24-openvz [message #25912] Thu, 10 January 2008 18:42 Go to next message
yettyn is currently offline  yettyn
Hi I would like to follow up on this thread from user maillist...
http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&th=4918&star t=0&

I have done some testing with the 2.6.22-0005.1 dev kernel but can't quite get it to work to my satisfaction and as that branch now is frozen I realize there's no real point in spamming the forum with questions about it... so how can I get to play with the 2.6.24 dev branch? Yes, I know there is git, which I never has used before so what I ask about really is some directions on how to get going with it and get it working with my arch (Gentoo x86/i686)?

This is what I have done so far on my dev test box,

# emerge dev-util/git

and then created a clone of 2.6.24 branch
# git clone git://git.openvz.org/pub/linux-2.6.24-openvz /opt/git-ovz-2.6.24

but then I am not quite sure were to go to from here. As I not only want to do this for my own needs but also help the Gentoo community I need to set things up to work with portage, creating an ebuild etc. which mean I need to have/create tarballs for portage to use from my overlay etc.

Also I am not quite sure what I have here as well in this branch, is it just patches to apply on vanilla kernel or a complete set of files for a completely patched kernel?

Older Gentoo ebuilds works like this, it download the stable vanilla tarball and ovz patch to apply on the unpacked kernel. But as there is no stable 2.6.24 yet I need to adjust this scheme to get it working. What comes to mind is download stable 2.6.23, download (n apply) 2.6.24-rc? patch and then ovz-patch, is this who you do it?

/Joakim

Kernel 2.6.32-125.3
vzctl 4.9.4
Gentoo Linux x64
Re: Testing of Linux-2.6.24-openvz [message #27769 is a reply to message #25912] Tue, 26 February 2008 20:38 Go to previous message
drescherjm is currently offline  drescherjm
I know this is way late. But I have done this recently on gentoo. What you have is the whole kernel. I downloaded mine in /usr/src/linux-2.6.24-openvz

and I am running that kernel for a few weeks now. There are a few bugs. The most annoying is that you can not set your kernel to low latency desktop otherwise you get error messages in your logs and at minimum wine debugging is affected as well.
Previous Topic: Virtuozzo to OpenVZ?
Next Topic: OpenVZ LiveCD with HDD support
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 20:52:23 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01873 seconds