OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Godaddy
Godaddy [message #21431] Tue, 09 October 2007 04:01 Go to next message
csharp is currently offline  csharp
I have question for using
Dedicated Server service from Godaddy.
I like to ask , if I choose a basic
Dedicated Server , will it be ok to use openVZ?
I read OpenVZ doc, it seems ,it's
quite straight forward. But I am not sure about
partionning requirments.
Would you recommend Xen or OpenVZ? I am planning to have
2 Dedicated Servers, one with Xen and another with OpenVZ.
But I like to start with one after a few months then set up second one to able to have Virtual Windows server as well.

Thanks and I appreciate for respond.
Re: Godaddy [message #21437 is a reply to message #21431] Tue, 09 October 2007 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Hello.

csharp wrote on Tue, 09 October 2007 08:01

I like to ask , if I choose a basic Dedicated Server , will it be ok to use openVZ?

Well, might be i don't see here some important point, but i can't guess why this might be not ok.
Quote:

I read OpenVZ doc, it seems ,it's
quite straight forward. But I am not sure about
partionning requirments.

We do not require any specific partitioning, at the same time it makes sense to create a dedicated partition for the /vz. This will slightly increase the performance as there would be different journals for system / partition and /vz partition, one more advantage - if due to some reason fs corrupts (power fault or just a driver bug, whatever) this most likely won't get the Hardware Node down and let you fix the issue remotely.

Quote:

Would you recommend Xen or OpenVZ? I am planning to have
2 Dedicated Servers, one with Xen and another with OpenVZ.
But I like to start with one after a few months then set up second one to able to have Virtual Windows server as well.

For a Linux server running different Linux based VEs OpenVZ will give you better density/performance (i don't take the VEs management simplicity into the account here - it's better to try both products and decide for yourself). But if you want to run Windows based VEs, unfortunately you have to use non-OS level virtualization (http://wiki.openvz.org/Introduction_to_virtualization).

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Re: Godaddy [message #21450 is a reply to message #21437] Tue, 09 October 2007 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Finist.
I am new to Linux world, I work as developer on Windows platform for a few years.
I got a Linux Virtual Server( Not with Godaddy.com) account and play around with Drupal. Then I looked at OpenVZ and realized , it's much better
to go with Dedicated Server (or Colocation) but I was not sure, I could handle all configuration remotly with SSh. I think I am going with OpenVZ and have 3 Virtual servers, one for DB,Web and Mail.
I appreciate for your quick respond.
Re: Godaddy [message #21552 is a reply to message #21450] Wed, 10 October 2007 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
I'd recommend before you go trying to do everything remotely on some Godaddy system, setup a machine for yourself, play with it and learn it. That goes for Linux itself and for Linux with OpenVZ.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: Godaddy [message #21559 is a reply to message #21552] Thu, 11 October 2007 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with it, I ordered a Dell server last week. I am planning
to make customize Linux image like Asterisk (PBX) box,... and then copy it to production server, like LiveMotion tool from VMware, but I do not know yet if I can do it with OpenVZ. It seems, most commercial version have this feature.But this is not my first step , but I will need it after a few months.
I have good underestanding of Windows Kernel , which can be very helpful to know Linux details. I like to sit on Linux box and watch Windows Kernel activities! ( of cousre using Xen or VMWare)

I got a Dedicated Server from Godaddy today, but I think my first job is to make a thin OS Host of it ,then deploy OpenVZ.
I prefer to work only with SSH.
I have 1G RAM in my Server which has only ~650 M free RAM.
I should go to detail and see what services are not needed. I

Is anybody know how much we can sqeeze memory usage for OS Host?
I use CentOS 4.0.

Thanks

Re: Godaddy [message #21587 is a reply to message #21559] Thu, 11 October 2007 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
This *REALLY IS NOT* the GoDaddy support forum. Smile

Having said that, I had the opportunity to play with a friend's VPS that he bought from Godaddy a few months back. I have no idea if you have a similar setup or what... but on his machine there was this really bloated Java-based control panel that was eating up a lot of the resources. I wonder if they have that running on your machine and if that is what is eating up all of those resources.

If you want to know about CentOS, check out their documentation... as they have a lot of it... that mostly came from their "prominent North American Upstream provider" (aka Red Hat):

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/docs/

So far as doing Physical to Virtual migration with OpenVZ as the virtual target, there isn't really an automated program for that but there is some info in the wiki on that:

http://wiki.openvz.org/Physical_to_VE

Always try and look through the documentation as best you can and ask questions to fill in the cracks.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: Godaddy [message #21645 is a reply to message #21450] Fri, 12 October 2007 13:36 Go to previous message
mperkel is currently offline  mperkel
For what it's worth, if you are new to Linux and used to windows ou should expect a lot of frustration. In the windows world when you install something it usually just works. (except when it doesn't) In the Linux world when you install something it almost never just works and you'll do a lot of head pounding wonder why Linux sucks.

You'll learn to hate Linux before you learn to love it. After a while you'll see that you can do a lot more with Linux and it's rock solid stable. You feel like for the first time you are in control and the server just keeps on running.

My 2 cents.

Previous Topic: VLAN in Guest with DHCP
Next Topic: VPS routing with venet0
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 23 00:34:16 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02318 seconds