OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » CentOS 4.3 available (announcement soon I imagine)
CentOS 4.3 available (announcement soon I imagine) [message #2077] Sat, 18 March 2006 00:41 Go to next message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
Ok, I noticed it has hit some of the mirrors. CentOS site doesn't have an announcement yet... but the torrents I'm using are flying by.

So, question is... when will an OpenVZ template be released? Or should I just update my yum.conf and point it at my self made repo? I'll wait until I get some guidance because I don't want to break my VPSes. Smile

No hurry really.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA

[Updated on: Sat, 18 March 2006 00:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: CentOS 4.3 available (announcement soon I imagine) [message #2078 is a reply to message #2077] Sat, 18 March 2006 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

If you are using vzpkgtools, you just run vzpkgcache and it will update your OS template. As for the existing VPSs, run vzyum VPSID update. Basically that is all.

We will definitely update a precreated OS template available from our site. We do it regularly anyway.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: CentOS 4.3 available (announcement soon I imagine) [message #2082 is a reply to message #2078] Sat, 18 March 2006 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Inside each VPS, I updated the yum config to point to the 4.3 repo I created... and updated my VPSes with no problem. I haven't tried to update my OS template cache yet though.

VPS updates went just fine.

If I was smart I would bind the yum cache directories between VPSes and save all of the downloading. Smile

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: CentOS 4.3 available (announcement soon I imagine) [message #2084 is a reply to message #2082] Sun, 19 March 2006 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Quote:

If I was smart I would bind the yum cache directories between VPSes and save all of the downloading.

Basically, that is what vzyum does! It keeps the yum.conf (per OSTEMPLATE) and the yum cache outside of the VPSs.

Kir Kolyshkin
Re: CentOS 4.3 available (announcement soon I imagine) [message #2086 is a reply to message #2084] Sun, 19 March 2006 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Surely that does... but in my case, I want each VPS to have yum so that the VPS root user can install whatever software they want without having root on the primary host (and access to all other VPSes).

I did get around to upgrading 10 VPSes and they all went well. What I did to avoid excess downloading was just scp -r the cache directories from one VPS to the next. Still had to download the headers but not about 74MB per VPS worth of updates.

It still amazes me how well OpenVZ works.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: CentOS 4.3 available (announcement soon I imagine) [message #2087 is a reply to message #2086] Sun, 19 March 2006 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Quote:

It still amazes me how well OpenVZ works.

Thank you! Smile

Have you tried other virtualization solutions? And if yes, what is your opinion, and how they compare to OpenVZ?

Kir Kolyshkin
Comparing OpenVZ, Xen, VMware and linux-vserver [message #2089 is a reply to message #2087] Sun, 19 March 2006 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Err... for a comparison with Xen, see my comment here:

http://community.livejournal.com/openvz/2355.html

BTW, downloading FC5 right now (went through ALL of the FC mirrors and found a couple that were prematurely open)... Unfortunately, I don't have any FC4 VPSes at the moment to try and upgrade. Smile

Regarding VMware... I was an original purchaser of the 1.0 release... downloading it on the day it was released. Man, how many years ago was that? Anyway, I kept up with it for a couple of years (mostly to run Windows from inside of Linux)... but I have fallen behind as I no longer needed to run Windows inside Linux.

Recently though, I did download the VMware Player and try it out with a few Linux LiveCDs. Works great. It is rather annoying though to run VMware on Linux and have to rebuild the modules whenever a new kernel comes out. That's why I'm running VMware Player on Windows rather than Linux.

I use linux-vserver on a couple of Debian boxes at work... and it is so similiar to OpenVZ it is kinda spooky... although linux-vserver doesn't offer all of those resource parameters and has less tools.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA

[Updated on: Sun, 19 March 2006 16:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: CentOS 4.3 available (announcement soon I imagine) [message #2137 is a reply to message #2077] Wed, 22 March 2006 02:26 Go to previous message
scooter is currently offline  scooter
Just to let you know, i upgraded a centos 4.2 ve to 4.3 with no problems that i can tell now.

All i did was:

wget http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/4.3/os/i386/CentOS/RPMS/cen tos-release-4-3.2.i386.rpm
yum upgrade

Scooter Harris
Previous Topic: vps's not working for internet only localy!
Next Topic: Fedora Core 5 (FC5) Template?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 11:31:23 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01812 seconds