OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* Are user beancounters available as separate patch?
*SOLVED* Are user beancounters available as separate patch? [message #14004] Sat, 09 June 2007 23:25 Go to next message
piavlo is currently offline  piavlo
Hi,

Are user beancounters functionality available as a separate mainline kernel patch? Since i'm interested just in using the UBC functionality without setting any Virtual Environments.
Does the openvz patched kernel allows that?

Or, maybe, someone can suggest other patch which allows similar
functionality?

Thanks
Alex

[Updated on: Thu, 21 June 2007 09:02] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Are user beancounters available as separate patch? [message #14005 is a reply to message #14004] Sat, 09 June 2007 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piavlo is currently offline  piavlo
piavlo wrote on Sun, 10 June 2007 02:25

Hi,

Are user beancounters functionality available as a separate mainline kernel patch? Since i'm interested just in using the UBC functionality without setting any Virtual Environments.
Does the openvz patched kernel allows that?

Or, maybe, someone can suggest other patch which allows similar
functionality?

Thanks
Alex

Actually i meant to use beancounters on a user basis
and not on Virtual Environment basis. From the docs i
see that UBC are applied to VEs can thay be applied just to users?

Thanks
Re: Are user beancounters available as separate patch? [message #14006 is a reply to message #14005] Sun, 10 June 2007 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickb is currently offline  rickb
Its an interesting idea for sure, but no one has such a patch. the user_beancounters file is a report of the kernel VE accounting structures of course, and to populate them you need all of the accounting functions in the kernel. Maybe someone could adapt the VE context to a system user, but this isn't likely to be on the openvz project roadmap.

-------------
Common Terms I post with: http://wiki.openvz.org/Category:Definitions

UBC. Learn it, love it, live it: http://wiki.openvz.org/Proc/user_beancounters
Re: Are user beancounters available as separate patch? [message #14072 is a reply to message #14005] Thu, 14 June 2007 08:53 Go to previous message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

You're right, UBC is a separate thing, that can be used as a separate technology. I see now two major ways:

1) You can use pure OpenVZ kernel. There are syscalls: setluid(), setublimit(), ... that allow you to set a UB for a process and manage UB limits. So, actually you can set a separate UB for every user's first process and in this way achieve your aim.
You can consult vzctl soruces and kernel sources for more details.

2) There was an attempt to merge UBC in mainstream, so there were patches and user-space tools that allow to create a UBC-based solutions separated from OpenVZ. Look at lkml and container mailing lists archives.

HTH,
Vasily.
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* Nameserver Problem
Next Topic: *SOLVED* another question about privvmpages/oomguarpages
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 23:49:19 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02300 seconds