OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Anyone know how to use Samba as PDC in a VPS?
Anyone know how to use Samba as PDC in a VPS? [message #1067] Mon, 30 January 2006 04:58 Go to next message
duswil is currently offline  duswil
I have Samba installed and configured nice and pretty in a VPS. It works perfectly for everything *except* domain logins. I know that it needs to use a broadcast to communicate between the workstations and the PDC itself so the workstations can find the PDC, but since broadcasts aren't passed to the VPSes, there would need to be an alternative way for the workstations to find the PDC.

Does anyone know of any way to tell the workstations where the PDC is without enabling the broadcasts or by faking a response to a broadcast from a workstation?

My goal is to figure that out. If anyone knows, please post it here. When I find out, I'll post it here.
Re: Anyone know how to use Samba as PDC in a VPS? [message #1068 is a reply to message #1067] Mon, 30 January 2006 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was thinking it would be possible (but not preferable!) to add an entry into the Windows workstations' lmhosts files or something like that. I really don't want to have to modify the configuration on the workstations themselves, but since I have to have this completely working in by morning, I'd be willing to do that, I suppose. I've got about 10 workstations that I'd have to modify by hand, so it's not *that* bad. But I *do* want a solution that wouldn't require any modification of the workstations.
Re: Anyone know how to use Samba as PDC in a VPS? [message #1069 is a reply to message #1068] Mon, 30 January 2006 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and I don't want to be required to install a second NIC or take over the existing NIC. It has to be via venet0.
Re: Anyone know how to use Samba as PDC in a VPS? [message #1070 is a reply to message #1069] Mon, 30 January 2006 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My workstations are informed by DHCP that the WINS server is at the IP address of my Samba VPS.

From what I'm reading, it sounds like it's possible to have the workstations go to the WINS server first for information on where to find things instead of resorting to broadcasting. I just have to figure out how to do that. And to make sure that the WINS server is operating properly, especially without broadcasts.
Re: Anyone know how to use Samba as PDC in a VPS? [message #1071 is a reply to message #1070] Mon, 30 January 2006 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This looks promising?

http://tr.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/Ne tworkBrowsing.html#id2552371
Quote:

Samba provides a means by which the Samba server name may be forcibly injected into the browse list of a remote MS Windows network (using the remote announce parameter).
Re: Anyone know how to use Samba as PDC in a VPS? [message #1078 is a reply to message #1071] Mon, 30 January 2006 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I give up. I put in another NIC and just used it. If I ever figure it out, I'll come back and put in some info.
Re: Anyone know how to use Samba as PDC in a VPS? [message #1535 is a reply to message #1078] Sun, 12 February 2006 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

All I can tell is looks like currently you have to use a separate NIC for a VPS if you want to run software which relies on broadcasts.

In future we will create another virtual network device for OpenVZ VPSs which will be more like a real device, i.e. have a MAC address and allow incoming broadcasts.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Anyone know how to use Samba as PDC in a VPS? [message #1616 is a reply to message #1535] Thu, 16 February 2006 05:44 Go to previous message
That would be really nice. I vote for that feature! Thanks!
Previous Topic: Variable Number Of Cores
Next Topic: Memory Issue size
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 02:19:17 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01474 seconds