OpenVZ Forum


Home » Mailing lists » Users » Switch to new red hat 5 kernel
Switch to new red hat 5 kernel [message #11176] Wed, 14 March 2007 22:46 Go to next message
Romeo Theriault is currently offline  Romeo Theriault
Messages: 20
Registered: December 2006
Junior Member
Hi, I'm subscribed to the OpenVZ news/blog in my rss reader. Today I
received a notice that the current stable kernel would be switched to the
red hat 5 kernel. Specifically this was the comment:

Our internal testing shows this RHEL5 kernel is pretty good, so it will
replace our current stable branch real soon.


How will this affect current RH 4 systems running OpenVZ. Will we simply be
able to install the new kernel while keeping all of the rest of the system
at the RH 4 level?

Or will we need to install RH 5 and use the Openvz kernel based off of RH 5
to keep our systems up to date with the stable kernel branch?

Thanks for any pointers on this.

Romeo
Re: Switch to new red hat 5 kernel [message #11177 is a reply to message #11176] Wed, 14 March 2007 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cranky is currently offline  Cranky
Messages: 14
Registered: September 2005
Location: Manchester, UK
Junior Member

You should be able to install it on the same server. You can install it with
"yum install ovzkernel" or download ovzkernel* and rpm -ivh it.

Ensure you use "yum install" or "rpm -ivh" so you install the new kernel in
addition to the existing kernel, rather than upgrading it, then if you can't
boot the new kernel you can fall back to the previous kernel. If you upgrade
instead you will most likely find your old kernels are messed up and won't boot.

You should check http://wiki.openvz.org/Kernel_flavors to ensure you're booting
the most suitable kernel. This page also reiterates the need to install, not
upgrade.

Regards,

Andrew Cranson
Layershift Limited

US-Hosted: http://us.layershift.com
UK-Hosted: http://uk.layershift.com

ICQ: 161813538
AIM: cransona

>>> Virtuozzo Virtual Private Servers now available from $12.95/mo! US or UK
based. Ask me for details. <<<

Romeo Theriault wrote:
> Hi, I'm subscribed to the OpenVZ news/blog in my rss reader. Today I
> received a notice that the current stable kernel would be switched to the
> red hat 5 kernel. Specifically this was the comment:
>
> Our internal testing shows this RHEL5 kernel is pretty good, so it will
> replace our current stable branch real soon.
>
>
> How will this affect current RH 4 systems running OpenVZ. Will we simply be
> able to install the new kernel while keeping all of the rest of the system
> at the RH 4 level?
>
> Or will we need to install RH 5 and use the Openvz kernel based off of RH 5
> to keep our systems up to date with the stable kernel branch?
>
> Thanks for any pointers on this.
>
> Romeo
>
>
Re: Switch to new red hat 5 kernel [message #11193 is a reply to message #11176] Thu, 15 March 2007 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev
Messages: 1693
Registered: September 2005
Location: Moscow
Senior Member

There are different options:
- for new servers I would suggest to use RHEL5 distro/RHEL5-OVZ kernel
- for old servers you can still continue to use RHEL4-OVZ kernel,
as it will keep being updated for a long time yet.
- if you want some new features from RHEL5-OVZ kernel, but don't
want to upgrade host OS itself, it should not be a big problem
to install RHEL5-OVZ kernel only and update OVZ related tools.
(you may need to create a correct initrd, but no major obstacles here)


> Hi, I'm subscribed to the OpenVZ news/blog in my rss reader. Today I
> received a notice that the current stable kernel would be switched to the
> red hat 5 kernel. Specifically this was the comment:
>
> Our internal testing shows this RHEL5 kernel is pretty good, so it will
> replace our current stable branch real soon.
>
>
> How will this affect current RH 4 systems running OpenVZ. Will we simply be
> able to install the new kernel while keeping all of the rest of the system
> at the RH 4 level?
>
> Or will we need to install RH 5 and use the Openvz kernel based off of RH 5
> to keep our systems up to date with the stable kernel branch?
You don't need to install RH5 until you want some new specific features.

Thanks,
Kirill
Re: Switch to new red hat 5 kernel [message #11199 is a reply to message #11193] Thu, 15 March 2007 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Dobrev is currently offline  Martin Dobrev
Messages: 14
Registered: November 2006
Junior Member
Hi Kirill,

sorry for the off-topic but as I seen the news post from Redhat they
offer virtualization with RHEL5, GUI for management and other nice
features. Do you have any idea what virtualization product they use for
this purpose?

Regards,
Martin

Kirill Korotaev wrote:
> There are different options:
> - for new servers I would suggest to use RHEL5 distro/RHEL5-OVZ kernel
> - for old servers you can still continue to use RHEL4-OVZ kernel,
> as it will keep being updated for a long time yet.
> - if you want some new features from RHEL5-OVZ kernel, but don't
> want to upgrade host OS itself, it should not be a big problem
> to install RHEL5-OVZ kernel only and update OVZ related tools.
> (you may need to create a correct initrd, but no major obstacles here)
>
>
>
>> Hi, I'm subscribed to the OpenVZ news/blog in my rss reader. Today I
>> received a notice that the current stable kernel would be switched to the
>> red hat 5 kernel. Specifically this was the comment:
>>
>> Our internal testing shows this RHEL5 kernel is pretty good, so it will
>> replace our current stable branch real soon.
>>
>>
>> How will this affect current RH 4 systems running OpenVZ. Will we simply be
>> able to install the new kernel while keeping all of the rest of the system
>> at the RH 4 level?
>>
>> Or will we need to install RH 5 and use the Openvz kernel based off of RH 5
>> to keep our systems up to date with the stable kernel branch?
>>
> You don't need to install RH5 until you want some new specific features.
>
> Thanks,
> Kirill
>
Re: Switch to new red hat 5 kernel [message #11208 is a reply to message #11199] Thu, 15 March 2007 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev
Messages: 1693
Registered: September 2005
Location: Moscow
Senior Member

Martin,

I guess Xen?

Thanks,
Kirill

> Hi Kirill,
>
> sorry for the off-topic but as I seen the news post from Redhat they
> offer virtualization with RHEL5, GUI for management and other nice
> features. Do you have any idea what virtualization product they use for
> this purpose?
>
> Regards,
> Martin
>
> Kirill Korotaev wrote:
>
>>There are different options:
>>- for new servers I would suggest to use RHEL5 distro/RHEL5-OVZ kernel
>>- for old servers you can still continue to use RHEL4-OVZ kernel,
>> as it will keep being updated for a long time yet.
>>- if you want some new features from RHEL5-OVZ kernel, but don't
>> want to upgrade host OS itself, it should not be a big problem
>> to install RHEL5-OVZ kernel only and update OVZ related tools.
>> (you may need to create a correct initrd, but no major obstacles here)
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>>Hi, I'm subscribed to the OpenVZ news/blog in my rss reader. Today I
>>>received a notice that the current stable kernel would be switched to the
>>>red hat 5 kernel. Specifically this was the comment:
>>>
>>>Our internal testing shows this RHEL5 kernel is pretty good, so it will
>>>replace our current stable branch real soon.
>>>
>>>
>>>How will this affect current RH 4 systems running OpenVZ. Will we simply be
>>>able to install the new kernel while keeping all of the rest of the system
>>>at the RH 4 level?
>>>
>>>Or will we need to install RH 5 and use the Openvz kernel based off of RH 5
>>>to keep our systems up to date with the stable kernel branch?
>>>
>>>
>>You don't need to install RH5 until you want some new specific features.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Kirill
>>
> ------------------------------------------------------------ ------------
>
Re: Switch to new red hat 5 kernel [message #11214 is a reply to message #11193] Thu, 15 March 2007 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Romeo Theriault is currently offline  Romeo Theriault
Messages: 20
Registered: December 2006
Junior Member
On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 13:04 +0300, Kirill Korotaev wrote:
> There are different options:
> - for new servers I would suggest to use RHEL5 distro/RHEL5-OVZ kernel
> - for old servers you can still continue to use RHEL4-OVZ kernel,
> as it will keep being updated for a long time yet.
> - if you want some new features from RHEL5-OVZ kernel, but don't
> want to upgrade host OS itself, it should not be a big problem
> to install RHEL5-OVZ kernel only and update OVZ related tools.
> (you may need to create a correct initrd, but no major obstacles here)
>
>
> > Hi, I'm subscribed to the OpenVZ news/blog in my rss reader. Today I
> > received a notice that the current stable kernel would be switched to the
> > red hat 5 kernel. Specifically this was the comment:
> >
> > Our internal testing shows this RHEL5 kernel is pretty good, so it will
> > replace our current stable branch real soon.
> >
> >
> > How will this affect current RH 4 systems running OpenVZ. Will we simply be
> > able to install the new kernel while keeping all of the rest of the system
> > at the RH 4 level?
> >
> > Or will we need to install RH 5 and use the Openvz kernel based off of RH 5
> > to keep our systems up to date with the stable kernel branch?
> You don't need to install RH5 until you want some new specific features.
>
> Thanks,
> Kirill
>

Thanks for the info. Makes me breath a little easier :)

Romeo
Re: Switch to new red hat 5 kernel [message #11215 is a reply to message #11208] Thu, 15 March 2007 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
weycresto is currently offline  weycresto
Messages: 17
Registered: September 2005
Location: London
Junior Member

Kirill Korotaev wrote:
> Martin,
>
> I guess Xen?
>
> Thanks,
> Kirill
>
>> Hi Kirill,
>>
>> sorry for the off-topic but as I seen the news post from Redhat they
>> offer virtualization with RHEL5, GUI for management and other nice
>> features. Do you have any idea what virtualization product they use for
>> this purpose?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Martin

Yes, RHEL5 would support Xen "para virtualised guests OS's." It would be
interesting to see if the Xen GUI tools become available in CentOS.

RH are recommending a minimum "physical memory" per active guest of 512MB.

I've always found the OS Virtualisation/shared kernel of
Virtuozzo/OpenVZ more suitable for hosting and there is more control
over resources.

--
Best Regards


Paul Lee
Operations Manager
Weycrest Solutions Limited
<www> www.weycrest.co.uk
Re: Switch to new red hat 5 kernel [message #11216 is a reply to message #11215] Thu, 15 March 2007 13:35 Go to previous message
dev is currently offline  dev
Messages: 1693
Registered: September 2005
Location: Moscow
Senior Member

> Yes, RHEL5 would support Xen "para virtualised guests OS's." It would be
> interesting to see if the Xen GUI tools become available in CentOS.
>
> RH are recommending a minimum "physical memory" per active guest of 512MB.
>
> I've always found the OS Virtualisation/shared kernel of
> Virtuozzo/OpenVZ more suitable for hosting and there is more control
> over resources.

I'm pretty sure, that not only for hosting.
Filesystem-related operations (databases),
high speed networking operations (like file servers) -
all these have much lower overhead and natively support SMP systems,
i.e. it scales pretty much good.

Regards,
Kirill
Previous Topic: 2 interfaces on VE, each using a separate routes
Next Topic: 2nd interface loses packets on using veth
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:28:09 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01803 seconds