OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Which system would be more beneficial?
Which system would be more beneficial? [message #10784] Thu, 01 March 2007 02:50 Go to next message
devonblzx is currently offline  devonblzx
Let's say I want to have 10GB of Memory on my node but I can only afford the following configurations, which one do you think would perform best?

Both servers will have the same specs except for:

Server1: 7GB RAM
6xSATAII RAID10 (3GB SWAP partition)

Server2: 8GB RAM
4xSATAII RAID5 (2GB SWAP partition)

Which one would you choose?

I know RAM is a lot faster, but RAID10 is supposed to be a lot faster for writing and copying which is what is needed for a SWAP partition.

Tell me your ideas.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-user-2.png
ByteOnSite President

[Updated on: Thu, 01 March 2007 02:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Which system would be more beneficial? [message #10789 is a reply to message #10784] Thu, 01 March 2007 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masm is currently offline  masm
I think that RAID10 and RAID5 shouldn't be compared without knowing the controller. For example when using Areca's SATA-RAID -controllers, RAID5-performance is nearly same than with RAID10. But with 3Ware's (older) SATA-RAID -controllers, RAID5 is sloooooooooowwwww...
Re: Which system would be more beneficial? [message #10790 is a reply to message #10789] Thu, 01 March 2007 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
devonblzx is currently offline  devonblzx
We were planning on using an LSI controller. Also we will have Quad woodcrest so would a software RAID be bad idea? We will have plenty of CPU power, thats why I ask.

Can you give me any suggestions now?

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-user-2.png
ByteOnSite President
Re: Which system would be more beneficial? [message #11356 is a reply to message #10784] Tue, 20 March 2007 22:14 Go to previous message
sPENKMAN is currently offline  sPENKMAN
Why 6 drives in raid10 and not 4? Are you planning to use an hotspare?

I would go for an good hardware raid10 controller with four 15k 74GB harddisks with as much memory as you can get for your budget.

* Why a hardware raid controller?
Under normal conditions you will have better performance and caching capabilities. When a drives decides to fail you can simply remove it and replace it with a new drive without much hassle. Using software raid you are always depending on you OS which would be a shame looking at the rest of your config.

* Why use 15.000rpm harddisks?
In the system that I control I see quite some harddisk activity. There are loads of read / writes on which a low access time gives you better performance.

I also suggest you mount the filesystem with the "noatime" parameter, this will lower the load on your filesystem noticable.

When you think you have fixed it, something else will fail soon enough
Previous Topic: New Kernel test018
Next Topic: *SOLVED* Permission problem cloning a VPS - all files owned by root
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 28 17:59:34 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05308 seconds