OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » VE's and OVZ kernel versions...
VE's and OVZ kernel versions... [message #10337] Thu, 15 February 2007 11:55 Go to next message
skizzo is currently offline  skizzo
Please pardon my ignorance... I am just a VPS end-user trying to figure out things...
I login into a remote system which has been setup by my VPS provider:

# cat /etc/fedora-release
Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) ...that tells me that my VE is based on a FC5 template

# uname -rv
2.6.18-028test015 #1 SMP ...that tells me that the VPS provider has installed a openVZ kernel,
built from source, based on the latest development version.

1) Is my understanding correct?
2) Since security fixes are backported to the latest openVZ stable kernel,
why would the VPS provider use a non-stable version?
3) I apply FC5 security fixes to my VE via yum. As FC7 is already out, soon fixes
for FC5 will not be provided anymore. Yet I don't see a template for FC6. How come?
4) Would it be possible for me to upgrade from FC5 to FC6 via yum (as doable on a
dedicated server) without the VPS provider intervention?

thank you for your patience,

Skizzo

Re: VE's and OVZ kernel versions... [message #10342 is a reply to message #10337] Thu, 15 February 2007 12:53 Go to previous message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

Quote:

1) Is my understanding correct?

Yes, you're right.

Quote:

2) Since security fixes are backported to the latest openVZ stable kernel, why would the VPS provider use a non-stable version?

Development version is based on 2.6.18 vanilla kernel, which has a lot of new features/drivers/etc. Moreover OpenVZ development kernel also has some interesting features (virtualized NFS, etc). These facts probably force your provider to use development kernel.
Quote:

3) I apply FC5 security fixes to my VE via yum. As FC7 is already out, soon fixes
for FC5 will not be provided anymore. Yet I don't see a template for FC6. How come?
4) Would it be possible for me to upgrade from FC5 to FC6 via yum (as doable on a
dedicated server) without the VPS provider intervention?

You have a VE and you can do everything in it. You can even upgrade it to FC6. For example, use article: http://www.ioncannon.net/system-administration/99/upgrade-fc 5-to-fc6-with-yum/
However some problems could arise... I never checked it, so consult with your provider.
Or maybe somebody at forum tried that?

HTH,
Vasily

Previous Topic: explain kmemsize
Next Topic: *SOLVED* is it possible to control what /proc/cpuinfo says?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 09 15:23:03 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02918 seconds