OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » OpenVZ-enabled monit
OpenVZ-enabled monit [message #8105] Tue, 07 November 2006 16:05 Go to next message
jasonaward is currently offline  jasonaward
In addition to the openvzmon utility that I've posted here, I decided to take it a step further and apply my changes to monit. As some of you may know, monit is a system monitoring utility. You can read more about it here:

http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/

There is a problem though using it on a VPS -- both CPU and memory usage measurements are based upon the total system performance, not your individual VPS. Since a VPS is a much different type of animal, this is to be expected. So I made modifications to monit to display and act upon openvz parameters.

here's my inital swipe at this modification. Everything from my end seems to mimic the behavior of my openvzmon utility -- so I'm fairly comfortable with it at the moment.

The monit utility itself should behave as before. There are simply additional monitoring parameters. You can download it here:

http://www.cubedthree.com/projects/openvz/monit-4.8.1-openvz .tar.gz

Note that I haven't (yet) updated the documentation. But you can follow the procedure for monitoring regular cpu and memory. The following are the new commands:

vzmemory, vzcpu

Examples of their usage would be like this:

if vzmemory usage > 70% then alert
if vzcpu usage (user) > 70% then alert
if vzcpu usage (syst) > 20% then alert

If any of you brave people test this out, please let me know how it works for you. Any comments or requests are greatly appreciated.

Note that the monit web-interface was also updated to display these new paramters.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 November 2006 16:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OpenVZ-enabled monit [message #40300 is a reply to message #8105] Tue, 10 August 2010 00:27 Go to previous message
mcluver is currently offline  mcluver
Has nobody tried this out since it was posted? This sounds like it would really be useful to me!

Regards,

Matt
Previous Topic: Ubuntu Business Desktop (OpenVZ Template)
Next Topic: good server/dc for openvz
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 10:48:11 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01360 seconds