OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » AlmaLinux 9.4 and network-scripts package
AlmaLinux 9.4 and network-scripts package [message #53850] Wed, 08 May 2024 19:11 Go to next message
wsap is currently offline  wsap
AlmaLinux 9.4 includes an updated initscripts version 10.11.6 which requires network-scripts 10.11.6 as well:

Error:
Problem: cannot install both initscripts-10.11.6-1.el9.x86_64 from baseos and initscripts-10.11.5-1.el9.x86_64 from @System
- package network-scripts-10.11.5-1.el9.x86_64 from @System requires initscripts(x86-64) = 10.11.5-1.el9, but none of the providers can be installed
- cannot install the best update candidate for package initscripts-10.11.5-1.el9.x86_64
- problem with installed package network-scripts-10.11.5-1.el9.x86_64
(try to add '--allowerasing' to command line to replace conflicting packages or '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)

Yet the network-scripts package is only ever in the almalinux devel repo: https://repo.almalinux.org/almalinux/9.3/devel/x86_64/os/Pac kages/

The original @System 'repo' the package came from refers to the EZTemplate it was installed from.

Anyone know if it's safe to simply install the package from the AlmaLinux devel repo, or if perhaps there are modifications to the package by OpenVZ devs to ensure it works with OpenVZ networking?
Re: AlmaLinux 9.4 and network-scripts package [message #53851 is a reply to message #53850] Tue, 14 May 2024 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
javii is currently offline  javii
Same problem here, did you solved it?
Re: AlmaLinux 9.4 and network-scripts package [message #53852 is a reply to message #53851] Wed, 15 May 2024 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wsap is currently offline  wsap
I'm afraid not. You can work around it by running other updates by excluding the initscripts package like yum update --exclude=initscripts but that doesn't solve the conflict.

I think the next step, that I haven't had time to try yet, would be installing a fresh container, then manually updating to the package in the alma devel repo. Then reboot the container to see if there's any networking issues. If all is well, then that's probably a good solution.
Re: AlmaLinux 9.4 and network-scripts package [message #53853 is a reply to message #53852] Thu, 16 May 2024 22:35 Go to previous message
nathan.brownrice is currently offline  nathan.brownrice
Howdy! I have some info on this, as I ran into it last week. Here's how I understand it (of course I could be wrong):

First I tried --allowerasing on a container to test, which worked to resolve the conflict and install the new network packages, and it completely broke networking.

After bit of googling I found the exact issue: https://techsch.com/tutorials/linux-troubleshooting-guide

This explained that "Deprecated 'network-scripts' package breaks yum/dnf update in RHEL9 based OS templates. This was for SolusVM, but the same principal applies here.

Their solution was to "--skip-broken", but this isn't a permanent solution. Considering that 'network-scripts' is apparently deprecated, and that 'network-scripts' needs a specific version of 'initscripts' to function, and that OpenVZ7 was designed around this 'network-scripts' package I think it's best that we exclude these permanently from being updated (that way you can easily run yum updates going forward without having to worry about breaking stuff)

In your
/etc/yum.conf

Add:

exclude=network-scripts* initscripts*

And then you can update like normal and without error, and this will keep us from accidentally updating these packages down the road and breaking containers. I think this is the best path forward for us. There is another "solution" that requires removing network-scripts, and instead configuring NetworkManager instead, but I didn't even go down that road. It seems likely that this will cause issues with OpenVZ since it clearly relies on the network-scripts package - but hey you could try it and let us know if it works! I have enough production Alma9 containers running that even if that worked, the labor to get all of them switched over would bee too intensive.

Hey, while I have another Openvz7 Alma9 template user, have you ever run into this issue? https://forums.almalinux.org/t/alma9-and-dnf-yum-update-issu es/3088

That's my forum post, I've never actually found a fix for it. I just end up rebooting alma containers after yum/dnf updates to get around it, but I've never had to do this for our Centos7 VPSs. It doesn't seem like an Alma9 issue, as we have dedi boxes running it and I've never had it happen there. More of a specific issue with Openvz7 + Alma9 template.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 May 2024 22:38]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: host fs is too fragmented
Next Topic: Openvz7 ploop FS + snapshots = BLOAT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 14:27:20 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01437 seconds