OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » any update for OpenVZ 9?
any update for OpenVZ 9? [message #53798] Tue, 15 November 2022 03:37 Go to next message
hkendusers is currently offline  hkendusers
Hi everyone,

I have been using OpenVZ 6 & 7 for many years, which are really great container based virtualization.

OpenVZ 8 & 9 has been released for 1-2 yrs already, OpenVZ 8 seems already dead because only 1 version was released, then after an year OpenVZ 9 was released. According to the update server (https://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/updates/), looks like OpenVZ 9 is stopping the update since 24 Feb 2022 while OpenVZ 7 still keep updating.

Earlier this year I had tested OpenVZ 9, there were many problems & errors (e.g. https://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&th=13670), so I haven't used it in production environment yet. It's been almost 1 year with no further updates, I'm afraid it will end the same way as OpenVZ 8.

Is anyone using OpenVZ 9 here? Is OpenVZ 9 already dead or still developing? Is it suitable for production usage?
Re: any update for OpenVZ 9? [message #53799 is a reply to message #53798] Wed, 16 November 2022 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dmc_dtc is currently offline  dmc_dtc
I have the same question, since EOL for CentOS7/virtuozzo 7 is getting closer, i already migrated all guests, but hosts are still OpenVZ 7 - I need to know if there will be OpenVZ8 or 9 or should I look for alternatives like nspawnd or LXC. For what i've read OpenVZ has security edge against both alternatives, but good thing is that OpenVZ containers works flawllesly in nspawnd which has matured over the years. I also tried those alpha OpenVZ8 and 9 .. and had errors starting or restarting containers... so it is quite unusable in prod.

It is not unreasonable question to ask, usually companies plans years ahead, and this 6 year vacuum frm previous release doesnt look good for openVZ - especially when there is so much competition, and I would hate to see it shoveled.Maybe you plan to support OpenVZ7 even after EL7 EOL?

Are there any more Alpha or beta releases 8/9 in some other secret place we could try ?

Please dont leave us hanging..

>> dmc / dtc <<
Re: any update for OpenVZ 9? [message #53803 is a reply to message #53798] Sat, 24 December 2022 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hkendusers is currently offline  hkendusers
Hi,

Just for an update, OpenVZ just released a new version 7.0.19-347, so version 7 is not dead yet.
https://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/releases/7.0/x86_64/is o/

Hope we can see OpenVZ 9 new version soon...
Re: any update for OpenVZ 9? [message #53804 is a reply to message #53799] Sat, 31 December 2022 19:15 Go to previous message
wsap is currently offline  wsap
I, too, have similar questions.

dmc_dtc wrote on Wed, 16 November 2022 10:08
Maybe you plan to support OpenVZ7 even after EL7 EOL?
On that topic, while we can't know what the Virtuozzo devs are planning, we can look at their history of support. They supported OpenVZ 6 with security patches for many years after CentOS 6 went EOL, and until OpenVZ 7 was considered (arguably) stable.

Given that they don't appear to have a replacement that's even close to stable yet in OpenVZ9 (nor OVZ8 as you guys observed), I'd bet they'll continue to support Virtuozzo 7 / OpenVZ 7 until at least they have a stable replacement. Considering the Virtuozzo devs have based their own infrastructure systems on it, that all seems reasonable/plausible to me.

[Updated on: Sat, 31 December 2022 19:15]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: status is running but can not access CT
Next Topic: Precreated Templates OpenVZ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:38:15 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02405 seconds