OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Is OVZ 7 ready? (openvz)
Is OVZ 7 ready? [message #53173] Thu, 15 February 2018 19:13 Go to next message
samiam123 is currently offline  samiam123
I need to set up a new server and I need to know if I should jump into OpenVZ 7 or stick with OpenVZ 6 for now.

Is anyone happily running OpenVZ 7 in production with moderate loads? Say maybe 20 containers. Not KVM VM's but containers.

Stability is important and OpenVZ 6 has been extremely stable for us. However, bug/security updates end in less than 2 years. Alternatives are KVM, which is not nearly as efficient on hardware, and LXD which does not appear ready yet. LXC is not suitable for hosting for security reasons, based on what I have read, so not even a consideration.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 February 2018 19:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is OVZ 7 ready? [message #53259 is a reply to message #53173] Sat, 05 May 2018 22:15 Go to previous message
wsap is currently offline  wsap
It seems to be. At the end of 2017, our datacentre started using RAID controllers and motherboards with EFI that openvz kernels apparently couldn't support, so we had no choice but to use Virtuozzo Linux 7.

We've now migrated at least 40 containers from OpenVZ 6 to OpenVZ 7 host nodes, converting from SimFS to ploop in the process. It has worked out quite well with stable performance on nodes with up to 24 containers so far.
Previous Topic: How are OpenVZ templates made?
Next Topic: NFS Client Support in OpenVZ 7: does it work with live migrations?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:16:54 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01566 seconds