OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ 7.0 on OVH servers?
OpenVZ 7.0 on OVH servers? [message #52501] Wed, 10 August 2016 07:58 Go to next message
votsalo is currently offline  votsalo
I have an OVH SoYouStart dedicated server with Centos 6.8 + OpenVZ (vzctl 4.9.4). This was the recommended installation procedure for OpenVZ before 7.0.

Is it possible to install OpenVZ 7.0 on this server? I don't see Virtuozzo or OpenVZ 7.0 in the list of OS choices when I try to reinstall the OS on the server.

If it becomes possible in the near future, will it be free, or is there going to be a license fee?

I am posting here, because I can't post on the OVH forums (haven't been able to figure out why).
Re: OpenVZ 7.0 on OVH servers? [message #52509 is a reply to message #52501] Fri, 12 August 2016 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
I am not familiar with the products and services that hosting company provides... but as long as their physical hardware meets the VZ7 requirements, it should be doable. You'll have to ask them.

So far as cost goes, there is a free version (OpenVZ 7 ) and a pay version (Virtuozzo 7). For a feature comparison see:

https://openvz.org/Comparison

Again, depends on what your hosting provider offers or plans to offer in the not-to-distant future.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: OpenVZ 7.0 on OVH servers? [message #52530 is a reply to message #52509] Wed, 17 August 2016 16:58 Go to previous message
votsalo is currently offline  votsalo
Thank you.

Asking them to install a distribution that they do not offer is not very appealing to me. I might want to reinstall a few times, so would I keep asking them? Would they do it? Then why don't they state so in their list of available OSes?

I asked about this provider, because they were the reason I got started with OpenVZ. I needed a dedicated server, and when I got one, I saw the virtualization options and I though, why not try one. So I tried Proxmox, which had OpenVZ.
When Proxmox stopped supporting OpenVZ (not too long ago), I switched over to CentOS 6.8 + openvz.
Now that OpenVZ moved away from being an add-on to CentOS, I have no upgrade path.
OVH also rented VPSes that were OpenVZ containers. I still have such a VPS. Now they moved to OpenStack KVM.
Previous Topic: Ubuntu 16.04 in Proxmox 3.4
Next Topic: migration from old server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:07:07 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01579 seconds