OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* Trying to create an ubuntu-edgy template.
*SOLVED* Trying to create an ubuntu-edgy template. [message #7308] Wed, 11 October 2006 01:49 Go to next message
frenchyp is currently offline  frenchyp
Hello OpenVZ community.

My goal is to create an ubuntu-edgy template for openvz.

This is how I proceed:
I use the ubuntu template provided on the openvz wiki.
I enable the repositories for testing, and run apt-get dist-upgrade.
I create the template by removing all the extra information (hostname, IP, history..) and tarring the /vz/private/VEID directory into an archive in /vz/template/cache.
I am then able to create other VPSes using this template and the vzctl create VEID .. command.

The VPS gets installed and starts normally, but I am then facing some issues:

First was that the network was down on bootup. I looked into the /etc/vz/dist/scripts files and it appears that in the debian-add-ip.sh (which this template is using), the ifup -a command is ineffective.
However I was able to fix that by adding /sbin/ifup -a in the /etc/rc.local file. Despite being totally inelegant it works. It makes me think that the starting script is trying to run this command too early during the boot process.

The second issue is that I can't get sshd to start on bootup.
I checked that the symlink to /etc/init.d/ssh was in my /etc/rc<runlevel>.d,
I tried to run it after rc.local,
I tried to add the /etc/init.d/ssh start command to rc.local after the ifup -a,
but I can't get sshd to start on boot.
If I enter the VPS and attempt to start it, it runs without any problem.

Does anyone have any idea on this issue? comments?

Thank you very much for your time and help.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 October 2006 06:31] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Trying to create an ubuntu-edgy template. [message #7381 is a reply to message #7308] Thu, 12 October 2006 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

can you provide the access to VE/Node in question to investigate the problem?

Thanks!
Re: Trying to create an ubuntu-edgy template. [message #7399 is a reply to message #7381] Fri, 13 October 2006 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vass,

Thank you for your offer to look into this issue for me, but I am doing this testing on a production server that belongs to the company I work for and I can't give access to an external person. I am going to play around a little more and setup a dev box, and I'll contact you then. Would a PM be a good way to give you the credentials?

In the mean time I have been digging a little deeper and found out that the /etc/init.d/ssh script was stopping on the line log_begin_msg "Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server...". I commented this line out and it works.
I saw that log_begin_msg is defined in /lib/lsb/init-functions and I know that this file is read, but somehow the function is not called properly by the /etc/init.d/ssh script during the boot process of the VPS..

That's where I am at at the moment, I hope to find more information soon.

Thanks for your help!
Re: Trying to create an ubuntu-edgy template. [message #7405 is a reply to message #7399] Fri, 13 October 2006 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Thank you very much for your investigation, your results will help somebody in future! PM - is a good way to contact me. Smile

Thanks once again.
Re: Trying to create an ubuntu-edgy template. [message #7695 is a reply to message #7405] Fri, 20 October 2006 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I am stuck, I couldn't really find information on init-functions.

I noticed that the problem I am facing once I upgrade ubuntu are the same I get when I try to install ubuntu dapper from debootstrap (following the wiki instructions).
Obviously somebody managed to fix/work around this issues as the community contributed template for dapper works perfectly. I'll try to find some info on who contributed this template and contact him/her.
Re: *FINALLY SOLVED* Trying to create an ubuntu-edgy template. [message #8241 is a reply to message #7308] Sat, 11 November 2006 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rudal is currently offline  rudal
Hmm I think I finally got it.
I was able to start both the networking and the sshd.

IMO, Edgy is still very much broken Razz

Since edgy was released, it introduces dash as a simple shell.
but it broke many of the shell script, especially the init scripts.

What I did, I changed the "sh" symlink to bash instead of to dash.
I was suspicous initially with dash, i tawt "isnt "sh" was supposedly symlink to bash and now we have dash. . . .?"

Check this link out
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+ticket/1932

That fixes the whole problem.

But still need more testing and playing around with edgy template.

Hope this helps.
Re: *SOLVED* Trying to create an ubuntu-edgy template. [message #8272 is a reply to message #7308] Mon, 13 November 2006 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

BTW can you tell what are the URLs to Edgy Eft repositories? I want to try to bootstrap it using debootstrap.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: *SOLVED* Trying to create an ubuntu-edgy template. [message #8276 is a reply to message #8272] Mon, 13 November 2006 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rudal is currently offline  rudal
This is in the sources.list

deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy main restricted
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-updates main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-updates main restricted
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy multiverse universe main restricted

I tried debootstraping from a ftp site
ftp://ftp.orst.edu/.1/ubuntu/dists/edgy/
but still stuck at mounting the proc fs.

Regards,
Rudy

Re: *SOLVED* Trying to create an ubuntu-edgy template. [message #9239 is a reply to message #7308] Fri, 22 December 2006 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stec is currently offline  stec
I just got it work, applying a very small patch on the /etc/init.d/rc script that avoid output to go to /dev/console (that is obviously not a good idea in a VE.)

To patch /etc/init.d/rc, just add comments as shown here, so QUIET is always yes:

#if grep -w -q quiet /proc/cmdline 2>/dev/null; then
    QUIET=yes
#else
#    QUIET=no
#fi

Duno why this is an issue, but later in the script, if QUIET=no, an stty command has been changed compare to dapper:

dapper: (no condition) stty onlcr 0>&1
edgy: stty onlcr </dev/console >/dev/console 2>&1

This seems to make the rc script abord and produce the init error: no more processes left in this runlevel.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 December 2006 14:55]

Re: *SOLVED* Trying to create an ubuntu-edgy template. [message #9504 is a reply to message #9239] Mon, 08 January 2007 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
voidmain is currently offline  voidmain
Did this install twice and figured it out. Now, I'd like to find out if OpenVZ plans on fixing this issue, but here it is:

Ubuntu 6.06 upgrades do not work as described on the Ubuntu Wiki. There are these steps:

1. Change sources.list to edgy
2. apt-get update
3. apt-get dist-upgrade
4. apt-get dist-upgrade

The second dist-upgrade installs upstart, which IS NOT WORKING with OpenVZ. This requires some messaging libraries and handling in the kernel, that isn't working. If you leave out step 4, the upgrade works. Like this:

1. Change sources.list to edgy
2. apt-get update
3. apt-get dist-upgrade

The issue I'm having is that upstart should work fine. Anyone have ideas about fixing upstart to work or OpenVZ to work with upstart? Anyone from the OpenVZ dev team have ideas on upstart?
Re: *SOLVED* Trying to create an ubuntu-edgy template. [message #9752 is a reply to message #7308] Fri, 19 January 2007 14:31 Go to previous message
mperkel is currently offline  mperkel
Sorry - posted to wrong thread.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 January 2007 14:59]

Previous Topic: drbd with 2.6.9-023stab037.3-enterprise
Next Topic: *SOLVED* Yum dependency error installing stable ovzkernel on FC6
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:44:54 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01829 seconds