OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* Problem with PostgreSQL on CentOS VPS
*SOLVED* Problem with PostgreSQL on CentOS VPS [message #7211] Fri, 06 October 2006 17:21 Go to next message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
Greetings,

I have verified that I do not have this problem on a non-VPS CentOS 4.4 install. This is a fresh vps creation and none of the system files have been altered.

I installed postgresql-server in a VPS. I attempt to start it for the first time (service postgresql start) and it goes through the initdb to create all of the runtime files... but then it fails to start. In an effort to get more info, looking at the /etc/init.d/postgresql script, it turns off logging... so I turned logging on to have it log to /var/log/postgresql so I can at least see what the problem is.

During the initdb and the start, it appears that there is a locale problem. Here's the error I get:

- - -
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".
This user must also own the server process.

The database cluster will be initialized with locale en_US.UTF-8.

fixing permissions on existing directory /var/lib/pgsql/data... ok
creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/base... ok
creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/global... ok
creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 10
selecting default shared_buffers... 50
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/1... FATAL: XX000: failed to initialize lc_messages to ""

initdb: failed
FATAL: XX000: failed to initialize lc_messages to ""

- - -

Yes, I did some googling but only found one reported fix (unrelated to OpenVZ, and it didn't work). Anyone know how to successfully get postgresql working on a CentOS 4.4 VPS?

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA

[Updated on: Thu, 26 October 2006 11:45] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem with PostgreSQL on CentOS VPS [message #7218 is a reply to message #7211] Sat, 07 October 2006 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HaroldB is currently offline  HaroldB
Hi, I saw this problem several months ago. Something about initializing the database. I have attached my init.d script which fixes this problem. You can diff the files to see what is different.

Tell me if this helps you.
Re: Problem with PostgreSQL on CentOS VPS [message #7225 is a reply to message #7218] Sat, 07 October 2006 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Harold,

I spent some time going through the script you provided, and while there were some changes, there wasn't really anything significant. Yours was listed as being for postgresql 8.x whereas the stock CentOS postresql is 7.x. Yours had the locale section removed... but that didn't seem to help... as the database initialization and the starting of the server still failed with the following errors:

FATAL: XX000: failed to initialize lc_messages to ""

I do appreciate you trying to help. Smile

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: Problem with PostgreSQL on CentOS VPS [message #7249 is a reply to message #7211] Mon, 09 October 2006 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

is there something in /proc/user_beancounters after unsuccessful start of PostgreSQL?
Re: Problem with PostgreSQL on CentOS VPS [message #7272 is a reply to message #7249] Mon, 09 October 2006 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, nothing related. I checked sometime later and the ony thing I saw was:

tcprcvbuf 0 329808 319488 524288 10

Everything in the VPS has been tuned up quite a bit as part of my default install.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: Problem with PostgreSQL on CentOS VPS [message #7393 is a reply to message #7211] Thu, 12 October 2006 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can anyone else verify this behavior on their machine?

1) Do you have a CentOS 4.4 vps?
2) yum install postgresql-server
3) service postgresql start

Does the startup fail?

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: Problem with PostgreSQL on CentOS VPS [message #7396 is a reply to message #7393] Thu, 12 October 2006 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
victorskl is currently offline  victorskl
Yes. Me too. Can't start postgresql.

HN : CentOS 4.4
VPS : CentOS 4.4
Postgre : CentOS EL4 (yum repo)

Still working around... pls kindly supply me any debug commands, i will post it..

thanks.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-user.png
Re: Problem with PostgreSQL on CentOS VPS [message #7404 is a reply to message #7272] Fri, 13 October 2006 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

have you managed to get rid of these failcounters?

Thanks.
Re: Problem with PostgreSQL on CentOS VPS [message #7620 is a reply to message #7211] Thu, 19 October 2006 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev

is locale en_US.UTF-8 installed in the VE?
I remember Kir was minimizing VE template size and removed most of unneeded locales. Maybe this is the problem for postgresql?

Also try stracing it and you will find out what exact file and directory is missing.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Problem with PostgreSQL on CentOS VPS [message #7621 is a reply to message #7396] Thu, 19 October 2006 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

is locale en_US.UTF-8 installed in the VE?
I remember Kir was minimizing VE template size and removed most of unneeded locales. Maybe this is the problem for postgresql?

Also try stracing it and you will find out what exact file and directory is missing.

Re: Problem with PostgreSQL on CentOS VPS [message #7669 is a reply to message #7621] Thu, 19 October 2006 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know... how does one install "locale en_US.UTF-8"? I don't see any packages for that?!?

My guess is that it is not installed... and that that is the problem. Smile

Tell me what to do to install it.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: Problem with PostgreSQL on CentOS VPS [message #7670 is a reply to message #7404] Thu, 19 October 2006 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't noticed any increase in that failcounter with subsquent tries and I don't it is related.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: Problem with PostgreSQL on CentOS VPS [message #7673 is a reply to message #7669] Fri, 20 October 2006 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

# ls /usr/lib/locale/en_US.utf8/

-bash-3.00# rpm -qf /usr/lib/locale/en_US.utf8/LC_COLLATE
glibc-common-2.3.4-2.19

So just reinstall glibc-common RPM.

Re: Problem with PostgreSQL on CentOS VPS [message #7674 is a reply to message #7669] Fri, 20 October 2006 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

also you can strace you postgres to find out exact file name which is missing.

Problem resolved by re-installing glibc-common [message #7693 is a reply to message #7673] Fri, 20 October 2006 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I verified the glibc-common package

rpm -V glibc-common

...and nothing was missing... but yes indeed, I had no /usr/lib/locale/en_US.utf8/ directory. I did a force install of a stock CentOS 4.4 glibc-common package and it did include the directory in question.

Then I removed postgresql-server... restarted the vps... reinstalled postgresql-server, set it to run in runlevel 3, and started it and it worked fine.

- - - - -

So does this mean that the package installed by vzcreate from the distro template cache is a subset of glibc-common? And if so, how can I fix that? How can I rebuild my template cache with the full package rather than the minimal one?

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: Problem resolved by re-installing glibc-common [message #7716 is a reply to message #7693] Mon, 23 October 2006 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

if you use precreated template, then you just need to reinstall glibc-common in freshly created VE based on this template.
Check that required locale was really installed
and then pack your VE private area to template.tgz to /vz/template/...

check that it works.

Re: Problem with PostgreSQL on CentOS VPS [message #7804 is a reply to message #7211] Thu, 26 October 2006 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
victorskl is currently offline  victorskl
- My VPS is live and already serving a few sites and users
- When i yum remove glibc-common, there are a lot other packages that set to remove for deps
- If so, i did these:

Just remove glibc-common from rpm db
[root@localhost ~]# rpm -e --justdb --nodeps glibc-common

So reinstall stock glibc-common;
yum install glibc-common

Perhaps, this yum will just add those additional locales which stripped away in original template.

Now test again:
[root@localhost ~]# ls /usr/lib/locale/en_US.utf8/
LC_ADDRESS  LC_IDENTIFICATION  LC_MONETARY  LC_PAPER
LC_COLLATE  LC_MEASUREMENT     LC_NAME      LC_TELEPHONE
LC_CTYPE    LC_MESSAGES        LC_NUMERIC   LC_TIME

Now as normal:
yum install postgresql postgresql-*

Start service:
/usr/sbin/service postgresql start

Woop!
Very Happy

p.s.. is this might applicable to other RHEL flavour VEs?

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-user.png

[Updated on: Thu, 26 October 2006 08:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem with PostgreSQL on CentOS VPS [message #7810 is a reply to message #7804] Thu, 26 October 2006 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

sure, it is related to all the templates where locales are stripped including RHEL (BTW, they are stipped just because consume ~50Mb of disk space)

How to re-install glibc-common [message #7823 is a reply to message #7804] Thu, 26 October 2006 15:48 Go to previous message
I think you are doing it the hard... but then again I run my own repos for CentOS and all of the files are local.

Just rpm -ivh --force http://whatever/packagename.rpm

And that will install over the top of the original.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* kernel parameters tuning
Next Topic: *SOLVED* OpenVZ Yum
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:22:09 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01789 seconds