OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Containers suddenly stops working / unable to boot
Containers suddenly stops working / unable to boot [message #51848] Fri, 23 January 2015 19:05 Go to next message
erlendsl is currently offline  erlendsl
I've had several debian 7 containers failing on two different HNs the past week. When trying to boot the containers I get no errors, but vzlist shows that only 3 processes gets started. The ploop image seems to be mounted correctly.

I haven't been able to find any error in any logs, but when I stop the container, I get a "Child XXXXXX exited with status 1"-message.

Every time this has happened, I've had some containers working and some failing. Now almost every debian 7-container has failed once, but none of the centos-containers. I haven't been able to find a fix for the containers, and have been forced to spend hours reinstalling to get the services up and running.

I really don't know how to troubleshoot this, as I am unable to find any error messages in the logs. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

The HN are running debian 7, with RHEL6 2.6.32-openvz-042stab102.9-amd64 and vzctl v 4.8.

Thanks,
Erlend

Re: Containers suddenly stops working / unable to boot [message #51849 is a reply to message #51848] Sat, 24 January 2015 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
I don't have any direct advice, I'm afraid.

To clarify: if you reinstall the debian container, the error doesn't happen again for this container?

Is there something else out of the ordinary on the HN when this failures happen, like stale processes, high load, etc.?

Have you tried using an older kernel or a newer, testing kernel?
Re: Containers suddenly stops working / unable to boot [message #51850 is a reply to message #51849] Sat, 24 January 2015 13:15 Go to previous message
erlendsl is currently offline  erlendsl
Thank you for your reply. I was actually able to figure out the problem. It was due to debian 7 replacing the upstart script with sysvinit after dist-upgrade. This had been done a while back, but the container had not been restarted until yesterday. Chrooting into the container file system and reinstalling upstart (and removing sysvinit) fixed the problem.

This problem has previously been reported on bugzilla (id 2647), but there it is claimed to be resolved.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 January 2015 13:17]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: vzlist with ipv6
Next Topic: Centos 7
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:08:00 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01682 seconds