OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » How to move large simfs directories from one container to another?
How to move large simfs directories from one container to another? [message #51577] Mon, 04 August 2014 13:45 Go to next message
votsalo is currently offline  votsalo
Can I move large directories between simfs containers quickly by doing the move across the private directories in the host? I tried it by using /var/lib/vz/private and also /vz/private and it was slow, as if it were copying the files.

I want to upgrade the OS of a large simfs container that I use for backup. So I thought I would create a new container with the new guest OS, and then move the directories I need from the old container to the new container.
Re: How to move large simfs directories from one container to another? [message #51579 is a reply to message #51577] Tue, 05 August 2014 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
votsalo is currently offline  votsalo
After some more testing I will answer my own question:

Moving files/directories from one container to another, using the HN private directories, is fast and it keeps the same inodes, if both containers are stopped. It is essentially a move within the same filesystem.

If either container is running, the move is slow and it does not keep the same inodes. It seems to be copying the files, just like a mv across different filesystems.
Re: How to move large simfs directories from one container to another? [message #51580 is a reply to message #51577] Tue, 05 August 2014 23:46 Go to previous message
devonblzx is currently offline  devonblzx
Yes, you would have to stop the container to "move" it. Ploop images make migrating/copying an entire container much faster but without snapshotting or stopping the container you are risking corruption.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-user-2.png
ByteOnSite President

[Updated on: Tue, 05 August 2014 23:47]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: vzdump limitation? need work around large VPS
Next Topic: Direct Access to GPU
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:41:15 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01698 seconds