OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Possible to put a container on a "ramdisk"? (Ploop)
Possible to put a container on a "ramdisk"? (Ploop) [message #51502] Mon, 30 June 2014 03:20 Go to next message
jjbada1 is currently offline  jjbada1
Hello,

I have a container that has a large read-only database.

I have enough RAM so that it could accommodate the entire root.hdd file.

I am not concerned with data loss. I would simple like (for example) to clone an existing container and copy it into a ramdisk.

I have tried tmpfs but unfortunately found out that Ploop only supports ext3/ext4.

So I tried using tmpfs and then created a loop within it, and then mounting an ext4 file system. Not perfect due to the extra layer, but I figured it might work...

Ploop seemed to be ok with this and started the container. However, once within the container I am unable to write anything and receive -

"No space left on device"

I suppose something is still unhappy with the Ploop driver.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.
Re: Possible to put a container on a "ramdisk"? (Ploop) [message #51511 is a reply to message #51502] Thu, 03 July 2014 18:31 Go to previous message
devonblzx is currently offline  devonblzx
Why put the container on a ramdisk? Why not just mount a tmpfs inside the container and use that for the database storage?

Otherwise you are losing the entire system on every reboot and you are wasting RAM on system files rather than just the database.

I think you are still going about this the wrong way, but I may not have all the info. Most database servers support caching in RAM for this very purpose and don't require a ramdisk or tmpfs. MySQL for instance, has the memory storage engine, and numerous other features to increase the cache size so you can keep all the tables in the RAM if necessary but you don't lose anything on a reboot.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-user-2.png
ByteOnSite President

[Updated on: Thu, 03 July 2014 18:34]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: OVZ does not delete root and private directores in some cases
Next Topic: Installation of Linux kernel headers fails in Debian
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 02:46:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01328 seconds