OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Snapshot backups with ploop (ploop and LVM)
Snapshot backups with ploop [message #51234] Sat, 15 March 2014 11:48 Go to next message
krugernet is currently offline  krugernet
Hi,

I would like to use ploop (instead of simfs) but have a few questions:

1. Does ploop require any LVM "free space" to do snapshot backups? My existing snapshot backups (using vzdump) requires free space on the VG. I am not sure if a ploop CT will also be mounted in the same way?

2. How would one go about cloning a ploop CT ?

3. Can anyone comment on their experience with ploop in a production environment?

Many thanks!

Chris
Re: Snapshot backups with ploop [message #51243 is a reply to message #51234] Tue, 18 March 2014 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paparaciz
1. it does not require lvm "free space". CT ploop file will be mounted to /vz/root/CTID

2. probably doing ct backup and than manually creating new ct, and placing ct file in place: https://wiki.openvz.org/Ploop/Backup

3. I use ploop and converted all CTs from simfs. didn't have any problems, though server can get bigger load when ct ploop file grows.
Re: Snapshot backups with ploop [message #51286 is a reply to message #51243] Mon, 31 March 2014 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
krugernet is currently offline  krugernet
Hi,

thank you for your feedback.

How much more % load are we talking about if there are several CT big ploop files ?
Re: Snapshot backups with ploop [message #51287 is a reply to message #51234] Mon, 31 March 2014 20:23 Go to previous message
Paparaciz
can't answer how much load it will take more because it is only when ploop file grows, it is difficult to monitor. and it depends what hardware you are using. also it only happened few times.
Previous Topic: Change files in root or in private?
Next Topic: Problem with connectivity between containers.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 07:21:25 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01964 seconds