OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ troubles
OpenVZ troubles [message #50746] Thu, 24 October 2013 20:18 Go to next message
dhamaniasad is currently offline  dhamaniasad
I recently setup a CentOS 6.4 server with OpenVZ, and I am having troubles with my ip allocation. I have 5 ip addresses(ipv4) on the server, and I setup the pool by making a ifcfg-eth0-range0 file.

The five addresses are like:

Now after doing this, all of my ip addresses starting responding to pings, as compared to earlier, when only the default/first ip addresses was responding. All, but one. The second one in the list is not responding to pings. Before making the file, I installed openvz-web-panel, added the ip pool in there, but started from the second address, as the first one is in use by the server itself, and it is the ip that ovz web panel is running on. I created a new vps with the second address assigned to it, but as it did not respond to pings, I went ahead to do what I first mentioned, the range0 file method. I don't know where I'm going wrong, as the second ip(192.168.1.1) is not responding to pings. It responds to pings only when I ping it from the server itself, with a response time of 0.064ms. So I guess the ip is working. There is another problem. The ip's don't bind to the vps, but stay attached to the server itself. So if I try to ssh, I ssh into the server, and not the vps. Any help would be appreciated.

PS : I am using the latest versions of OpenVZ/tools, I used the quick installation guide form the wiki.
Re: OpenVZ troubles [message #50750 is a reply to message #50746] Fri, 25 October 2013 12:27 Go to previous message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
Your inital setup was correct. You should *NOT* add IPs that are meant to be used for the VMs to the hardware node itself.

Basic usage example, ie. you have 3 public IPs from the same subnet available to your server:

- assign 1st IP to eth0 as you normally would
- do *not* assign 2nd and 3rd IP to eth0
- assign 2nd IP to one VM
- assign 3rd IP to another VM, etc.

If you're in doubts which DNS etc. to use for your VMs, use same as you do for eth0.

That's it. Nothing else to do.

The first thing to check if your VM's IP isn't reachable from the outside is the firewall.
Previous Topic: Parameters could not be applied to a running container
Next Topic: Cannot log in to GUI
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 01 13:41:10 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01831 seconds