OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Passthrough device when plugged in
Passthrough device when plugged in [message #50327] Thu, 15 August 2013 11:26 Go to next message
mapero is currently offline  mapero
Hi.

What i want to do:
I have an openvz container with ubuntu and tvheadend streaming server. To passthrough my usb dvb-s2 stick i use the following in the configuration file for the container:

DEVNODES="dvb/adapter0/frontend0:rw dvb/adapter0/demux0:rw dvb/adapter0/net0:rw dvb/adapter0/dvr0:rw"

The server with the vz container is running 24h.
But the usb device is only plugged in when used.

As long as the dvb device is plugged in before the container starts, everything is working fine.

The problem:
If the vz container is started before the dvb device is plugged in. I can not access the device from inside the vz. I have to restart the container.

Question:
Is there a way to passthrough the device so it works even if the device is added after the vz container is started?

Thanks.
Re: Passthrough device when plugged in [message #50330 is a reply to message #50327] Thu, 15 August 2013 18:56 Go to previous message
Paparaciz
I will try to help, but I'm not familiar with devices inside CT

probably I would try to some of this:
1. write some udev rule to execute some script and do something. for example restarting CT.
more you can find out in google search: "udev execute script".
2. mount bind /dev/dvb in CT? this probably will not work...
3. check vzctl(?) source what it does when there is given access to devices for CT. maybe combaining with option 1 it can be combined.

there is old topic about tv cards in this thread, not very helpfull though:
http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&th=6393

Previous Topic: Network configuration problem with NAT and OpenVZ
Next Topic: How to allow OpenVZ to take advantage of timing source?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 03:24:01 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02027 seconds