OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Restore dd image into container
Restore dd image into container [message #50141] Mon, 29 July 2013 01:48 Go to next message
Zyon is currently offline  Zyon
Hi, I'm looking for a way to restore my dd image into OpenVZ container.

Im running my base OS as ubuntu, creating OpenVZ virtualization technology on top of it. I've already created a container using the Slackware Linux 13.37 template. I want to restore my .dd image, a linux slackware, into my OpenVZ container.

I am actually tasked to put this .dd image containing data obtained from a Linux Slackware 13.37 machine. Basically, i need to put data from a current existing Slackware machine into OpenVZ container. I am only given a .dd image.

I've research and know about rsync, etc. However i'm unable to use those method as i am only given a dd image.

Correct me if i'm wrong, OpenVZ container is not allocated to any /dev, therefore i'm able to use the following command.
dd if=slackware.img of=<dev of container>

I'm also unable to run the following command as /vz/private/888 is a directory.
dd if=slackware.img of=/vz/private/888
Re: Restore dd image into container [message #50144 is a reply to message #50141] Mon, 29 July 2013 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paparaciz
mount dd image with loop device, then move/rsync/cp files to needed directory.
if this image contains real server, not container please also read:
http://wiki.openvz.org/Physical_to_container
Re: Restore dd image into container [message #50155 is a reply to message #50141] Tue, 30 July 2013 07:29 Go to previous message
Zyon is currently offline  Zyon
Actually, is there another way to create a container using a dd image file?
Previous Topic: Container unreachable from LAN
Next Topic: vzdump to plain directory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 05:35:16 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01828 seconds