OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* arp entries on HN
*SOLVED* arp entries on HN [message #6482] Mon, 18 September 2006 19:23 Go to next message
John Kelly is currently offline  John Kelly
My openvz kernel 2.6.16-026test015.2 publishes a permanent arp entry for my VE:

daves.isp2dial.com (69.60.124.123) at <from_interface> PERM PUB on eth0

My colo provider gives me 3 IPs, and publishes their own arp entries for my 3 IPs.

I have a problem where packets to the VEs are lost, intermittently throughout the day. By running tcpdump when the problem occurs, I can see the packets to the VEs are not reaching my ethernet card, while packets to the HN are.

I discussed this with the colo provider, and they don't think it's their problem. However, based on what the tcpdump reveals, I believe it is their problem. But since I can't get them to fix it, I need to work around the problem. I wonder if my published arp entries are confusing their router, since they publish their own arp entries.

Can I prevent the openvz kernel from publishing arp entries for the VEs? I don't need them, since the provider publishes an arp entry for each of my 3 IPs, and I want to experiment, to see if that might solve the problem.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 September 2006 06:58] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: arp entries on HN [message #6530 is a reply to message #6482] Wed, 20 September 2006 03:08 Go to previous message
John Kelly is currently offline  John Kelly
My provider escalated the problem to the next level techs, who replied:

Quote:

I doubled the arp unresolved threshold to allow the CPU to resolve more arp entries on each attempt. I also set the arp for your IP addresses static.

They previously had said my ARP entries were already static, but obviously, that was false.

I have not seen the problem any today, so it seems they fixed it, by making my ARP entries static at the router.

So, never mind my question ...

Confused
Previous Topic: communication slow between vps
Next Topic: *SOLVED* Kernel install problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 21:55:06 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02492 seconds