OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Best Linux Distro to use with OpenVZ? (Been using Fedora but tired of it not working)
Best Linux Distro to use with OpenVZ? [message #46686] Mon, 04 June 2012 18:26 Go to next message
mperkel is currently offline  mperkel
I don't know how Fedora get such high rating but every version is buggier than the one before and each one is worse than the one before it. I'm just used to the Redhat world.

So - I'm wondering - which distro is best for openvz host environment - and for virtualization.

What I'm looking for:

I run a spam filtering service with about a dozen or so servers running OpenVZ. The host is pretty minimal installation however I do have a simple graphical interface I can start up in case I need to google something.

One of the problems with Fedora is that after 2 realeases they stop updating the version I'm using and usually the new version won't install for some reason. Currently running Fedora 14. Been trying to install Fedora 17 but the install crashes and can't even get the most basic install to come up without Python crashing half way through it.

Is there something out there that just works?

Re: Best Linux Distro to use with OpenVZ? [message #46689 is a reply to message #46686] Mon, 04 June 2012 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dzimi is currently offline  dzimi
CentOS 6.2 ?
Re: Best Linux Distro to use with OpenVZ? [message #46691 is a reply to message #46686] Mon, 04 June 2012 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
CentOS 6, like dzimi said. I have good experiences with Scientific Linux 6 too, 5 was too modified for my taste.

Fedora is great for a laptop and for technology preview in general, IMHO. Hey, I run alpha when I'm bored.

I wouldn't put it on a production server though, its 13-month support cycle is just too short for me.
Re: Best Linux Distro to use with OpenVZ? [message #46693 is a reply to message #46691] Mon, 04 June 2012 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perhaps I should try centos. Especially since I'm already familiar with redhat like distributions.

Re: Best Linux Distro to use with OpenVZ? [message #46731 is a reply to message #46686] Wed, 06 June 2012 13:52 Go to previous message
Yes - Centos 6 is far better than Fedora. The last several versions of Fedora are so bad. They seem to be blind to the idea that software has to actually work.

Previous Topic: IP Address not reporting properly
Next Topic: Open a range of port in the container
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:42:52 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01652 seconds