OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Kernel 3.2 / Debian 7 hypervisor (no patches for Kernel 3.2 ?)
Kernel 3.2 / Debian 7 hypervisor [message #45409] Sat, 03 March 2012 20:33 Go to next message
NIXin is currently offline  NIXin
Hi guys,

There's a lot of reasons for people to upgrade the kernel to 3.2, even if just for testing for now.
Are there no planned patches for kernel 3.2?
What is the future of the OpenVZ technology in this context?

Thank you
Re: Kernel 3.2 / Debian 7 hypervisor [message #45412 is a reply to message #45409] Sun, 04 March 2012 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
I'm counting on RHEL-only kernels for the foreseeable future, atleast until I hear otherwise...

This is from Kir's blog post made in August 2011:

Quote:
Currently, there are no non-stable kernels in development. Eventually we will port to Linux kernel 3.x, but it might not happen this year. Instead, we are currently focused on bringing more of OpenVZ features to mainstream Linux kernels.

I'm sure one of the developers will chip in if there are any news about this subject.
Re: Kernel 3.2 / Debian 7 hypervisor [message #45414 is a reply to message #45412] Sun, 04 March 2012 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, but because of missing patches for >=3 kernel Debian decided to pull the plug on OpenVZ Sad
Ubuntu did that a while ago too.
So it's a pretty sad time for OpenVZ in general, I'd say.
Re: Kernel 3.2 / Debian 7 hypervisor [message #48592 is a reply to message #45409] Wed, 24 October 2012 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

We are rebasing to 3.6 now, when will do a RHEL7 rebase which will eventually become stable.

Please don't look at the numbers -- RHEL6 kernel, while based on 2.6.32, is pretty modern and incorporates a lot of stuff from newer kernels. Unfortunately this phenomenon is very hard to explain, people still think it's old and rusty 2.6.32.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Kernel 3.2 / Debian 7 hypervisor [message #49292 is a reply to message #48592] Thu, 18 April 2013 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geejay is currently offline  geejay
kir wrote on Wed, 24 October 2012 08:30
Unfortunately this phenomenon is very hard to explain, people still think it's old and rusty 2.6.32.

I just tried to run Pacemaker, libvirt and Corosync on Debian Wheezy with the vzkernel 2.6.32. No go. Strange problems happening left and right which I have simply no time digging into, so back to 3.2 kernel.

I am afraid that OpenVZ will suffer a slow death if things are going this way. We have to either dump OpenVZ or Debian or stay on old versions. Which one is it going to be ? Probably its either going to be KVM on Debian Wheezy, or OpenVZ on Centos.

But whats the point of OpenVZ if the project has already given itself up and doesnt support Debian anymore ? Also will OpenVZ be supported under Openstack? Highly unlikely as Ubuntu is the favorite Openstack distro.

This is a shame, because OpenVZ on Debian used to be extremely stable and could have a great future under Pacemaker/Libvirt/Openstack.

Cheers

Geejay
Re: Kernel 3.2 / Debian 7 hypervisor [message #49293 is a reply to message #49292] Thu, 18 April 2013 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At our company we've made a successful switch to LXC, because of OpenVZ being deprecated by both Debian and Ubuntu - and as the infrastructure administrator I don't look back to OpenVZ, although both platforms have their own quirks.
LXC is now on it's way to be well supported on Ubuntu Server, and some of its features are just brilliant.
Re: Kernel 3.2 / Debian 7 hypervisor [message #49294 is a reply to message #49293] Thu, 18 April 2013 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geejay is currently offline  geejay
NIXin wrote on Thu, 18 April 2013 13:33

LXC is now on it's way to be well supported on Ubuntu Server, and some of its features are just brilliant.

Thanks for the hint. Seems that I have some reading to. I see that LXC is supported by Openstack and Pacemaker. Great.

Cheers

Geejay
Re: Kernel 3.2 / Debian 7 hypervisor [message #49315 is a reply to message #45409] Sat, 20 April 2013 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
I can relate to Debian users, feeling a bit left out. But I wouldn't go as far as to say that OpenVZ will suffer a slow death or that the project has already given itself up.

At least in my eyes, me being just a long term user, OpenVZ is a RedHat-centric project, with the goal of merging the functionality into mainstream kernel as much as possible. I have no doubt that RHEL 7 and it's derivatives will have as solid support as RHEL 6 has now. And the work related to upstream kernel integration is going ahead nicely (you mention LXC yourself, so...), isn't it? So all is well with OpenVZ in general.

But it does sound like the upcoming Debian 7 (it isn't even properly released yet!) will have a bumpy ride until 3.x devel kernels show up. Later, it will most likely co-exist with RHEL 7 kernels reasonably well, as Debian 6 does with RHEL 6 kernels now.
Re: Kernel 3.2 / Debian 7 hypervisor [message #50037 is a reply to message #49315] Wed, 24 July 2013 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dipps is currently offline  dipps
Ales wrote on Sat, 20 April 2013 10:36
But it does sound like the upcoming Debian 7 (it isn't even properly released yet!) will have a bumpy ride until 3.x devel kernels show up. Later, it will most likely co-exist with RHEL 7 kernels reasonably well, as Debian 6 does with RHEL 6 kernels now.

Some time has passed, and Debian 7.1 was released a month ago.

I wanted to update some Debian 6 containers, and was a bit stumped when I noticed Debian 7 supplied a 3.x kernel.

As an experiment, I upgraded a Debian 6 container to Debian 7.1, and it appears to be okay on the 2.6.32 kernel. HN is Centos 6.4, kernel 2.6.32-042stab076.8. The container was based on the debian6 template from openvz.org. I followed the usual Debian upgrade procedure in the release notes.

Any reason why this is a bad idea? because I've got several Debian containers that need an upgrade path.

Cheers. Pete
icon8.gif  Re: Kernel 3.2 / Debian 7 hypervisor [message #52568 is a reply to message #50037] Fri, 16 September 2016 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grin is currently offline  grin

Well newer libc simply will reject old kernels (as well as udev and some other stuff). Since upgrades are blocked I have to get rid of openvz. That's sad because lxc is still an unstable pile of glorified chroot, but I won't go into "compile everything again for myself" game. And it's well integrated into the kernel and it doesn't relate to redhat.
Re: Kernel 3.2 / Debian 7 hypervisor [message #52571 is a reply to message #52568] Mon, 19 September 2016 18:45 Go to previous message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
With regards to OpenVZ Legacy (the version of OpenVZ based on the RHEL6-2.6.32x kernel, you should be able to run Debian 7 and 8 containers on it just fine as they offer supported OS Templates for them.

OpenVZ 7 was released near the end of July 2016 and it is RHEL7-based with their 3.10.x kernel.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Previous Topic: slow disk i/o
Next Topic: OpenVZ and ZFS support
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:47:59 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01438 seconds