OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » using Varnish (experience with varnish and OpenVZ)
using Varnish [message #44303] Tue, 29 November 2011 18:43
TheStig is currently offline  TheStig
Hi folks,

for two weeks now I have been using varnish3 inside of an VPS as a cache for a CDN in front of apache2 (will switch to nginx soon).

As I was reading a little bit more into the documentation, I discovered, that there seems to be a problem when running varnish in an OpenVZ container with unmodified stack sizes (8192 in my case). See: https://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/3.0/tutorial/virtualised. html

It advises to limit stack size to 256kB, which to me seems a bit too low, especially as varnish has been running fine on a 2.6.32-042stab039.10-kernel for the last two weeks now. The documentation also doesn't really go into details on what kind of setups people started to experience problems.
In my current setup, the avg. connections/s during daytime are about 20 and varnish is allowed 2G malloc.

But as I'm planing to use varnish on frontends with about three times that traffic as well, I'm very interested in any experiences in using varnish3 with OpenVZ on higher traffic sites and how likely it is I will run into problems.

Suggestions are very welcome,

Joseph

[Updated on: Tue, 29 November 2011 18:44]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: openvz inside a Xen client
Next Topic: ofa_kernel-1.5.3.2 compile error 2.6.32-042stab039.11
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 14:03:18 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02344 seconds