OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Mounting USB External HDD
icon5.gif  Mounting USB External HDD [message #931] Thu, 19 January 2006 09:02 Go to next message
cahya_s is currently offline  cahya_s
How can I mount an USB external HDD to VPS directly?
I tried with --devices and --devnodes options from vzctl. Somehow it won't work. I cannot find the device under VPS. if I fdisk -l on VPS it says cannot open /proc/partitions.

Thanks.
Re: Mounting USB External HDD [message #934 is a reply to message #931] Thu, 19 January 2006 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vaverin is currently offline  vaverin
Hi Cahya

why you do not want to mount your drive in VE0 but to the mounpoint inside VPS? In this case you do not need any additional permission for the data access.

thank you,
Vasily Averin
icon6.gif  Re: Mounting USB External HDD [message #938 is a reply to message #934] Thu, 19 January 2006 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cahya_s is currently offline  cahya_s
Hi Vasily,

That was my point. I want to mount the USB Drive directly to VPS, not on the host.
Well, I solve the problem anyway. I just found out that we cannot use RaiseFS to mount on the VPS, so I re-format the HDD with Ext3... Very Happy

Cahya
Re: Mounting USB External HDD [message #947 is a reply to message #938] Sat, 21 January 2006 19:11 Go to previous message
vaverin is currently offline  vaverin
Hi Cahya,

unfortunately you cannot mount ext3 inside VPS too: mount tries to start kernel thread for journal. virtuozzo do not allow to execute in side VPS any kernel threads: it is unclear who should stop it and how to do it when the VPS is stopped? what should be calculated the resources allocated by kernel thread? what we should do, when the kernel thread requested the resourced over than alloved by the VPS -- As far as I see it is not a smple questions.

On the other hand -- you can mount devices/partitions with ext2 filesystem, which is not required the kernel threads.

And again I would note thatyou may mount any devices/partitions in VE0 but to the mountpoint inside VPS area, and I do not see any advantages to do it exclusive inside VPS.

thank you,
Vasily Averin
Previous Topic: Bug in vzsplit ?
Next Topic: Channel Bonding Interfaces
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:27:58 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01740 seconds