OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* Cloning VE from AMD Athlon 64 to othe HW node
*SOLVED* Cloning VE from AMD Athlon 64 to othe HW node [message #9256] Sat, 23 December 2006 01:15 Go to next message
marcot is currently offline  marcot
Hi *,

is there any way to get a VE currently runing on an AMD Athlon 64 up & running on a different HW node, let´s say one of these old 32bit machines ?

I´ve tried to copy the whole VE whilst using the -a parameter, but when starting up the VE it gives me "Unable to start init, probably incorrect template".

ldd on /vz/private/{VEID}/sbin/init gives "not a dynamic executable" no matter which other machine i´m using as a host (32 as well as 64bit).

Is it possible at all ? To which extent does the other HW node need to be of the same structure than the origin´s VE host ?

Thanks in advance,
Marco

[Updated on: Sun, 24 December 2006 16:21] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Cloning VE from AMD Athlon 64 to othe HW node [message #9258 is a reply to message #9256] Sat, 23 December 2006 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev

are you kidding? you are trying to migrate 64bit applications to an old 32bit platform! sure it doesn't work. 32bit processor just can't run the new code it was not designed for.

it is possible to migrate in another direction however: you can migrate 32bit VE from 32bit OS to x8664 host with x8664 OS/kernel.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Cloning VE from AMD Athlon 64 to othe HW node [message #9261 is a reply to message #9256] Sat, 23 December 2006 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marcot is currently offline  marcot
Well the 64bit to 32bit example might have been an extreme one.

However, i´m looking into some more details to which extent the other HW node needs to be of the same structure than the origin´s VE host.

Are 64 -> 32bits and Intel vs. AMD the only limitations (by architecture) or are there any soft limitations due to the nature of OpenVZ as well ?

Re: Cloning VE from AMD Athlon 64 to othe HW node [message #9262 is a reply to message #9261] Sat, 23 December 2006 19:17 Go to previous message
dev is currently offline  dev

usually there is no even Intel <-> AMD limitation, since all the Linux distros are compiled w/o specific optimizations.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* Problem init vz
Next Topic: *SOLVED* OpenVZ and Bastille/iptables?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 04:30:52 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02980 seconds