OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* firewalls for vps.
*SOLVED* firewalls for vps. [message #8777] Wed, 06 December 2006 08:33 Go to next message
sanjooz_2002 is currently offline  sanjooz_2002
Hi,

I have successfuly installed OpenVZ on centos 4.2. I have also created four virtual servers on this hardware node. I am using quicktables as a firewall on the main hardware node. I wish to configure a firewall on each of the vps es. Unfortunately Quicktables doesnt recognize venet0 as a valid name for a network interfc. Hence, I am not able to use it for my virtual servers.
I wanted to block all the ports except 22,80 and 443 on each of the virtual servers. Can anyone help me?? Thanks in advance!!

[Updated on: Thu, 07 December 2006 12:19] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: firewalls for vps. [message #8781 is a reply to message #8777] Wed, 06 December 2006 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dim is currently offline  dim
The best way is to modify quicktables script (most probably, it is rc.firewall in your virtual servers). Just add `venet' in list of the recognized devices.
Something like this:
 --- /usr/local/sbin/rc.firewall.ovz       2003-09-02 08:04:54.000000000 +0400
+++ /usr/local/sbin/rc.firewall   2006-12-06 12:08:45.000000000 +0300
@@ -53,7 +53,7 @@ date=`date '+%Y.%m.%d.%S'`

### define regex for ip and interface validation ###
 is_ip="grep -Ec '^[1-2]?[0-9]?[0-9]\.[0-2]?[0-9]?[0-9]\.[0-2]?[0-9]?[0-9]\.[0-2]?[0-9]?[0-9](\/[0-3]?[0-9])?$'"
-is_if="grep -Ec '^(eth|ppp|wlan|tun)[0-9]$'"
+is_if="grep -Ec '^(eth|venet|ppp|wlan|tun)[0-9]$'"

### don't overwrite existing output file if present ###
 if [ -f $out ]; then

http://static.openvz.org/openvz_userbar_en.gif
Re: firewalls for vps. [message #8792 is a reply to message #8777] Wed, 06 December 2006 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi dim,

Thx for the help. I tried whatever you had suggested. Now it gives me the following output when I try running the rc.firewall script.

#################OUTPUT################################
setting global variables

applying general security settings to /proc filesystem

/usr/src/quicktables-2.3/rc.firewall: line 16: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies: Operation not permitted
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
applying icmp rules

applying the open port(s) to the firewall rules

applying default drop policies

### quicktables is loaded ###

Now I have no internet connectivity from within my vps. I cant even ping other machines on the local network. I had to restart the vps inorder to restore the previous settings. Can you tell me as to what the error means? Thanks once again!!

cheers'
Re: firewalls for vps. [message #8793 is a reply to message #8792] Wed, 06 December 2006 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or is there any other open source software that would serve my needs. .i.e block all ports other than 22,80 and 443 on the vps.

Thanks!
Re: firewalls for vps. [message #8794 is a reply to message #8792] Wed, 06 December 2006 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You need to know which iptables modules are required by your script and permit them for this VE.
Seems, that the fastest way to resolve the issue will be access to your node.
Could you give me such access (via PM, of course)?

Re: firewalls for vps. [message #8819 is a reply to message #8794] Thu, 07 December 2006 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi dim,

Well, I have solved the main problem .i.e the loading of modules. I just edited the IPTABLES line in the /etc/sysconfig/vz file. Now it looks something like this:

IPTABLES="ipt_REJECT ipt_tos ipt_limit ipt_multiport iptable_filter iptable_mangle ipt_TCPMSS ipt_tcpmss ipt_ttl ipt_length ip_conntrack ip_conntrack_ftp ip_conntrack_irc ipt_LOG ipt_conntrack ipt_helper ipt_state iptable_nat ip_nat_ftp ip_nat_irc ipt_TOS"

Laughing !!!I know I have loaded all the modules and I am not sure if that is a good idea. But, anyways it has solved my problem partially. I have tried accessing a blocked port on my vps and as desired it was inaccessible. Now when I run the rc.firewall script I get the following output
#######################################################
setting global variables

applying general security settings to /proc filesystem

/usr/src/quicktables-2.3/rc.firewall: line 16: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies: Operation not permitted
applying icmp rules

applying the open port(s) to the firewall rules

applying default drop policies

### quicktables is loaded ###

Now, as you can see, the only problem is the /proc/sys/netipv4/tcp_syncookies. After reading through few security related artcicles on the internet I realized that it is meant to thwart SYN attack. I looked at the permission rights for this file. it was 644. I tried changing it but to no avail (although I was logged in as root). I even tried to delete it Confused , but it still says that "operation not permitted". Any ideas on how to deal with this problem??

Thanks!!

cheers;
Re: firewalls for vps. [message #8826 is a reply to message #8777] Thu, 07 December 2006 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have made an error in the previous post. I apologize for the same. The permission rights are not 644. Its 444. .i.e only read permission is given and i believe the rc.firewall script uses a command echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies.

#ls -ld /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Dec 7 07:52 /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies

As you can see the permission rights do not permit the script to write into the file.

Pls help!!
Thanks in advance.
Re: firewalls for vps. [message #8828 is a reply to message #8826] Thu, 07 December 2006 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is because it is system-wide variable. So, it's change is prohibited in VEs. Your firewall should work without it. If you don't like this message, just comment out this attempt in the rc.firewall script.

Re: firewalls for vps. [message #8830 is a reply to message #8777] Thu, 07 December 2006 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks a lot for your help dim!!!

Just one doubt.If the the value in this file (in the vps) is not changed does it (the vps) become vulnerable to SYN attack??

Thanks!

cheers'
Re: firewalls for vps. [message #8831 is a reply to message #8830] Thu, 07 December 2006 12:19 Go to previous message
It depends on current value, which is setuped from HN itself.

Previous Topic: Variable Configuration
Next Topic: *SOLVED* samba and openvz
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:03:06 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01930 seconds