OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Running different distros as guests, how's that work?
Running different distros as guests, how's that work? [message #8653] Thu, 30 November 2006 13:48 Go to next message
BigJim is currently offline  BigJim
I would like to run (at least) a SuSE 10.1 and a CentOS 4.3 distro on the same machine. I currently have both operating in a dual boot config. Two questions come to mind.
1. I believe that SuSE and maybe CentOS have patches to the kernel source. Is that a problem when running from a single kernel?

2. Will it be difficult to adapt this configuration to OpenVZ or should I start over from scratch?

Oh heck, I'll toss out another one. Is the Intel 6300 processor supported? I looked at the supported processors list but missed it if it was there.

Thanks,
Jim.
Re: Running different distros as guests, how's that work? [message #8662 is a reply to message #8653] Thu, 30 November 2006 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickb is currently offline  rickb
Hi, when I started using VZ, I wondered about this same thing. Two VEs of different distributions share the same kernel. OpenVZ VEs are less of a "virtual server" and more of an individual and separated resource container.

Any special modifications to the kernel performed by Suse will not be available in your VE. However this hasn't proven to be a problem thus far from my usage. OpenVZ has a kernel based on the redhat modified kernel although this doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

The configuration you refer to in your second question, is that the dual boot config? I don't see how that could matter, as dual boot is essentially two computers but one turned on at a time.

Not sure about the cpu question, I only use i386 and x64_86.

-------------
Common Terms I post with: http://wiki.openvz.org/Category:Definitions

UBC. Learn it, love it, live it: http://wiki.openvz.org/Proc/user_beancounters
Re: Running different distros as guests, how's that work? [message #8667 is a reply to message #8662] Thu, 30 November 2006 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks,
I probably need to do more reading, but the second question was based on the fact I have a root file system complete with users, applications, etc. for CentOS and SuSE. Can I just install an OpenVZ kernel, boot both or do I have to start from scratch, generating all those files again?
Re: Running different distros as guests, how's that work? [message #8668 is a reply to message #8667] Thu, 30 November 2006 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickb is currently offline  rickb
Ok, you are asking how easy it is to do a server->VE migration. Many people say you can tar up the source server's / and create a VE from it, and I have done this successfully too. However its best to migrate over your applications, system files (passwd, shadow) manually if you are hosting production services.

Commercial VZ has a conversion utility for "dedicated server to vps" conversion, but it doesn't work 100% either.

Bottom line, treat server->VE migration like migrating from a conventional server to conventional server.

-------------
Common Terms I post with: http://wiki.openvz.org/Category:Definitions

UBC. Learn it, love it, live it: http://wiki.openvz.org/Proc/user_beancounters
Re: Running different distros as guests, how's that work? [message #8720 is a reply to message #8668] Mon, 04 December 2006 16:36 Go to previous message
Thanks, I guess I'll give it a try.

Jim.
Previous Topic: Small script 'vzyumall'
Next Topic: Memory leak Urgent
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 10:03:18 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01437 seconds