OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Cpanel install problems
Cpanel install problems [message #5784] Wed, 30 August 2006 16:30 Go to next message
brybert is currently offline  brybert
Hi!
I hate to start a new thread...but the way this thing is organized is not good. I found one "solved" thread with no followup or solution posted.

Ok..first I should say I am far from a newbie at this.
I just installed Cpanel on a Fed5 complete install (mine)
which basically means it has almost everything you would expect..gcc, perl expect, Update ran...YUm installed..even the infamous perl module that has a habit of going missing...
Tie::IxHash

I thought I could trust the install logs (basically useless)
and have logged all the putty output and are going to comb through it for more clues.

Sadly..this attempt #6 or #7...I lose track. As I write this..I'm trying on Fed 4 complete..as above.

I even tried the perl install they provide first..even worse than without.

I started out with Centos 4.3...and this install on fed 5 seems to be a little better.

As I prepare to comb the logs...any clues right off the bat?

Alright...exact same problems. WHM is locked into the setup cycle..I've done ./upcp, of course..little improvement.

At least the news works on FC4 and FC5..even that does not work on Centos4.3.

Let's go log combing!

Thanks

Bryon

[Updated on: Wed, 30 August 2006 17:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Cpanel install problems [message #5787 is a reply to message #5784] Wed, 30 August 2006 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aistis is currently offline  aistis

and the problem is... ? Confused or did i miss something informative in your post.. Confused

Aistis Zenkevicius
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-user.png
Re: Cpanel install problems [message #5789 is a reply to message #5787] Wed, 30 August 2006 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi!
The problem is I now have three VPS's with WHM locked into a "First time you ran this" cycle. The very first install even has the "News server" error I've seen before...the other two do not have this problem.

I'm not finding much terribly useful in the logs..so..I'm going to run ./upcp and log it this time.

Just for the heck of it..I guess I'll run ./fixndc.new just to see if that helps the sitch.

Bryon
Re: Cpanel install problems [message #5797 is a reply to message #5784] Wed, 30 August 2006 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aistis is currently offline  aistis

Bryon, and you seriously believe that giving so much information in OpenVZ forum you'll solve cPanel problems? Please get real - contact cPanel developers and ask them for help.

You can also choose to find it yourself, or provide some reasonable information for the guys reading your cries, like:

- ovz kernel version (.config if it was compiled by you)
- VE configuration parameters
- some info on what is this is upcp and what it does
- strace dumps on it
- /proc/user_beancounters output

ANYTHING reasonable to start going.

just my 5 cents Evil or Very Mad

Aistis Zenkevicius
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-user.png
Re: Cpanel install problems [message #5798 is a reply to message #5797] Wed, 30 August 2006 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi!
I am so sorry for wasting *your* time! Geez..what a attitude.

Silly me..I actually believed this forum was here to help people with problems they have related to Openvz. I was also going to share some of my knowledge learned in return...that's normally the way it works. I am 100% sure there are people who are much less compusive as I who have the same problems.

Never mind...I'll leave you alone...sorry to bother you and waste your time.

Bryon
Re: Cpanel install problems [message #5803 is a reply to message #5798] Thu, 31 August 2006 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev

brybert,

Aistis is just impetuous Smile Don't take it much serious.
But, to help you, we really need more information from you.
First, steps you do and what doesn't work with exact commands and output.

Seconds, please, check that your don't have increasing filcnt column in /proc/user_beancounters. Most often situation is that VE is hitting its limits and due to lack of resources applications fail.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Cpanel install problems [message #5807 is a reply to message #5803] Thu, 31 August 2006 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi!
Actually...it's fixed. It was one of those.."you've already fixed the thing..but now you've got to wait for the dns to resolve" things..that's all that needed to happen..the new namserver to start resolving to ns3.

Look back at the original post..and you'll see (maybe) I had already said there were no resource problems...this is my server..and I have given myself..ummm..generous allocations Wink

Plus..I already knew what Cpanel might need...nothing has caused more install failures than privvmpages..so I'm quite generous with them...knowing good and well...the vps will likely never need that much anyway...once the install is completed.

I am delighted with openvz...and have lost much sleep learning everything threre is to know about it.

What is strace? The other info I knew..but not strace.

I am truly amazed this was a dns problem..that's it..nothing more.

Anyhow...count on me to start sharing some of my experience here..I have quite a bit now. Just let me concentrate on getting some customers...then...I'll have some of this mysterious "free time" I have not seen in the last 2 months!

Kind to think of it..I do have one completely openvz-related question: Is it possible to estimate at what point openvz will start to swap? I have already been warned about over-generous allocations by a certain other host (cough)..but didn't believe it...and went on to give the server a heck of a lot of work..and it wouldn't swap. No sir..even with almost 600,000 privvmpages in use (held) by vps's. We're not talking high-end hardware either..just a P4 2.8HZ..1GB RAM..120Gb HD..as I said...I have been really impressed!

Heck..I even surprised myself and got IBM WEBsphere Application server with Tomcat and Geronimo running on a fairly small size VPS. Will it continue to behave is not known at this time...not yet..anyways..but the control panel is nifty.

No..the biggest thing that confused me about the response..why would a non-cpanel person even read a cpanel-related post?

Cpanel has a /scripts directory...it is a monster....upcp is the script you use to manually update CPanel. It is something a person needs to do immediately after a install..I'm not sure why..but it does fix things by itself that the install program could not.

There are some really useful ones there for..uhhh..."normal" users to use..like
fixndc.new (fixes nameserver configs)
fixcommonproblems

and many others I have not even touched..yet.
Bryon

[Updated on: Thu, 31 August 2006 07:00]

Re: Cpanel install problems [message #5813 is a reply to message #5807] Thu, 31 August 2006 10:23 Go to previous message
dev is currently offline  dev

your posts are like a stories :@)

Quote:

I do have one completely openvz-related question: Is it possible to estimate at what point openvz will start to swap? I have already been warned about over-generous allocations by a certain other host (cough)..but didn't believe it...and went on to give the server a heck of a lot of work..and it wouldn't swap. No sir..even with almost 600,000 privvmpages in use (held) by vps's. We're not talking high-end hardware either..just a P4 2.8HZ..1GB RAM..120Gb HD..as I said...I have been really impressed!

There is no answer to your question, really. Because, it depends on load pattern and memory usage. The good thing with OpenVZ is that kernel effeciently can unswap really rarely used pages (unlike VMMs), so from performance point of view it can behave much better, just like a standalone Linux server.

But some concerns I can still provide to you. First, there is a tool vzmemcheck which will inform you on how much your node is overcommited and how much memory is used now (summary of physpages from /proc/user_beancounters). My advise is to keep summary of oomguarpages (which is physpages + used-swap) to be < 1/2 - 2/3 of your RAM. This will allow kernel to use caches effeciently and thus will provide a good performance. This is due to the fact that when caches are not working (e.g. node is overloaded) then performance starts to degrade rapidly.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png

[Updated on: Thu, 31 August 2006 10:24]

Previous Topic: *SOLVED* multiple filesystems in one VE
Next Topic: Message
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:13:46 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01373 seconds