OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » CentOS 8 Stream and Virtuozzo
CentOS 8 Stream and Virtuozzo [message #53722] Thu, 10 December 2020 20:27 Go to next message
wsap is currently offline  wsap
Hey OpenVZ folks Smile

I'm sure many of you have heard the CentOS Stream news.

Although I've seen people lamenting the division between Virtuozzo Linux and CentOS in the past, at this moment I would say it turned out to be a good thing that Virtuozzo devs created their own distro with Virtuozzo Linux. At least we don't have to be concerned about HW nodes during this period of uncertainty.

That said, those of us running containers with CentOS 8 will now be wondering what their best course of action is by the end of 2021 when CentOS 8 goes EOL prematurely. We all thought we were getting until 2028. This brings up some possibilities in terms of how existing CentOS 8 containers (as well as EZ Templates for new containers) will be supported. There's a few possibilities I can foresee at this time:

1. Support will be added for CentOS Stream 8, despite the potential for lesser stability (still unclear, but it does seem plausible)
2. Support could be added for CloudLinux's new RHEL8 fork rather than CentOS Streamhttps:// blog.cloudlinux.com/announcing-open-sourced-community-driven -rhel-fork-by-cloudlinux
3. I've heard rumours of another community run RHEL8 fork from the original devs of CentOS. Support could then be added for this in place of CentOS Stream 8.

I imagine that the transition to any of these three options *should* be a relatively smooth process as the packages shouldn't differ significantly between them (particularly the latter two). I would also imagine that the transition from CentOS 8 to CentOS Stream would *seem* to be the simplest for Virtuozzo devs to support. However from a long-term support perspective the latter two projects might just result in a more stable OS as their updates would be downstream of RHEL. Of course more stable containers means less troubleshooting time for Virtuozzo devs -- so that could be an advantage here.

Most curious to see how this plays out.
Re: CentOS 8 Stream and Virtuozzo [message #53724 is a reply to message #53722] Mon, 14 December 2020 10:20 Go to previous message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Hi!

wsap wrote on Thu, 10 December 2020 23:27
Although I've seen people lamenting the division between Virtuozzo Linux and CentOS in the past, at this moment I would say it turned out to be a good thing that Virtuozzo devs created their own distro with Virtuozzo Linux. At least we don't have to be concerned about HW nodes during this period of uncertainty.

Well, yes... we never know the future. Smile

wsap wrote on Thu, 10 December 2020 23:27
That said, those of us running containers with CentOS 8 will now be wondering what their best course of action is by the end of 2021 when CentOS 8 goes EOL prematurely. We all thought we were getting until 2028. This brings up some possibilities in terms of how existing CentOS 8 containers (as well as EZ Templates for new containers) will be supported.

i would emphasize - there are no official decisions yet.

But talking about new Containers - it seems the easiest question: most probably there will be some new EZ template(s?):
it might be VzLinux/OracleLinux/CloudLinux/RockyLinux/etc - does not really matter as all of them should be just a rebuild of RHEL packages.

May be VzLinux will be more efficient - we do fix userspace ourselves if we face a bug which disturbs us.
And there are userspace bugs faced by Container owners - and currently (even if we find the root cause) all we can do - just complain to RedHat/CentOS so they fix the issue or suggest Container owner to build guilty userspace with the fix.
If the Container is based on VzLinux we may fix the issue ourselves and fixed version will be distributed over all Containers automatically during next yum update.

On the other hand - if there is VzLinux inside a Container, people will complain and blame VzLinux only and expect we fix all existing issues in userspace,
and supporting free-of-charge distro on a good level... Well, not that efficient from money's point of view. Smile

Again - all this is only my personal view, i might not see some other concerns and i do not know what decision we will finally make.

Talking about existing CentOS Containers:
well, if you don't touch them (don't change yum repos), they will probably work as "CentOS Stream" Containers.
And if you are a Hoster who cannot touch user Containers according to your agreement - there is nothing you can do here.
May be, just setting DNAT on the Host to redirect yum from CentOS repo to some other repo?.. But it seems quite ugly.

If you are allowed (got a permission from Container owners) - you can just correct yum repos inside Containers to
VzLinux/OracleLinux/CloudLinux/RockyLinux/etc repos and this most probably will work fine.

We live in a good and interesting period of time. We'll see!

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Previous Topic: Breaking OpenVZ7 on CentOS with latest update 7.0.14
Next Topic: running Virtuozzo Hybrid Server 7.5 CT on OpenVZ Root Server?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:07:40 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01880 seconds