OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ 7 overview
OpenVZ 7 overview [message #52885] Fri, 07 July 2017 15:59 Go to next message
mperkel is currently offline  mperkel
Trying to understand OpenVZ 7. I suppose it's not as easy as just installing a new kernel and some utilities to upgrade from current OpenVZ? I'm running on Centos 6.

Is it easy to upgrade?

What do I need to do?

What new features does it have that I'm going to actually need as someone who is happy now?

Re: OpenVZ 7 overview [message #52939 is a reply to message #52885] Sun, 03 September 2017 02:18 Go to previous message
mangust is currently offline  mangust
Get a test machine and try new install.

0 minimum clean install not possible. You need to install tonns of packages from 1.3G distro.
1 it maybe hang on booting from image, and will need change kernel boot options. remove quiete and add nomodeset
2 it will not allow to customize disk layout, not possible to change VG name, not possible even to create additional partition for backups. Just adjust sizes. It try to allocate 60GB to / by default, but it hardly need 4-5GB. It is not possible to keep your /vz partition. It is gladly allow you to wipe all drive.
3 configuring disks over gui during install - nonsense of click click click. It will create bridges for each and every interface. better to do manually later. On boot all interfaces are managed by NetowrkManager and there will be ModemManager process running after install. WHY? it is a server, there is no ASDL here! And all interfaces will try to DHCP forever on boot.
4 once installed "yum update" will not work saying problem with libspice-server.so, I was able to fix it with:
yum update ftp://195.220.108.108/linux/fedora/linux/updates/22/x86_64/s /spice-server-0.12.6-1.fc22.x86_64.rpm yes wrong distro.
5 it has tonns of services that you don't need for containers, they do something, they listen something and you need to wipe them one by one. They conflicting with each other on update. libvirt quemu etc etc .... why it need to be in memory to run containers.
6 firewall not possible to use, it set own rules on each boot by force. You change it, you save it for startup, it will revert back. Opening holes on management interfaces and blocking what need to pass etc. I need it for my own filters and don't know how to override those automatic rules
7 I was able to copy old containers and they work. That is good.

Entire thing looks very unstable.
Previous Topic: Cannot boot to OpenVZ kernel
Next Topic: Problem with IPTABLES OpenVZ kernel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:24:04 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03871 seconds