OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Is it possible to run KVM inside OpenVZ? (SmartOS allows you to run KVM-based VMs within a Solaris Container. Is a similar setup possible with Linux and OpenVZ?)
Is it possible to run KVM inside OpenVZ? [message #45758] Tue, 03 April 2012 16:47 Go to next message
s_groening is currently offline  s_groening
Hi all,

I'm completely new to OpenVZ, but I've been wondering if it supports running KVM VMs inside OpenVZ, like Joyent's SmartOS does on the Illumos/Solaris kernel?

SmartOS does so for security reasons, which is why I turn to OpenVZ for a similar solution, as KVM seems somewhat hard to secure completely as it would require you to run SELinux along with sVirt (security extensions to Libvirt) to decently separate VMs.

However, if KVM instances were to be kept within separate OpenVZ containers, if understand it correctly, these instances wouldn't be able to see one another, thus adding a much needed security layer to my KVM deployments ...

Moreover, it would allow me to logically separate instances/appliances without needing to add complete a OS setup for each instance, which in turn would free resources in regards to my virtualization hosts.

Does anyone know if this can be acieved? -I know you can run KVM alongside OpenVZ, but inside??

Thanks a bunch!

-Søren
Re: Is it possible to run KVM inside OpenVZ? [message #46156 is a reply to message #45758] Fri, 27 April 2012 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dzimi is currently offline  dzimi
s_groening wrote on Tue, 03 April 2012 18:47

Does anyone know if this can be acieved? -I know you can run KVM alongside OpenVZ, but inside??

I think that is not possible. Maybe, try to use chroot() for KVMs ?
Re: Is it possible to run KVM inside OpenVZ? [message #46159 is a reply to message #45758] Sat, 28 April 2012 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
I'm also not sure it can be done, but it could be possible. Please let us all know if you try.

I recently had to do some quick devel work with OpenVZ inside a KVM VM (Fedora host / SL6 guest / SL6 guest) and I can confirm that this works just fine. At least as much as I had to play with it... If I remember right I actually compiled a custom kernel, a bunch of other packages and than composed a live image in such a VM.
Re: Is it possible to run KVM inside OpenVZ? [message #48780 is a reply to message #45758] Wed, 21 November 2012 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
concerto49 is currently offline  concerto49

It's definitely fine to run OpenVZ inside KVM. Have tried it. Performance is a different issue though Smile

Budget to Premium VPS - Cloud Shards!
Re: Is it possible to run KVM inside OpenVZ? [message #51926 is a reply to message #48780] Mon, 16 March 2015 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zenny
The OP is asking KVM inside OpenVZ, not vice versa.

I do not see a rationale behind using a KVM inside OpenVZ? You can run OpenVZ and KVM in the same machine like proxmox does, instead!
Re: Is it possible to run KVM inside OpenVZ? [message #51928 is a reply to message #45758] Tue, 17 March 2015 00:09 Go to previous message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
Um, the OP has been asking this three years ago...
Previous Topic: List all OpenVZ Runtime Parameters
Next Topic: Container showing incorrect used space
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:39:34 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01883 seconds