OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » vzdump / openvz snapshot -- ram
icon14.gif  vzdump / openvz snapshot -- ram [message #51510] Thu, 03 July 2014 10:07 Go to next message
Mike_L is currently offline  Mike_L
Hi

Has openvz planned to add RAM content when dumping a container ?

I use proxmox with several openvz container. When I perform hot 'snapshot', I know that only the file are 'saved' as snapshot. So it's the same as force shut down the system and copy information on hardrive. In this kind of snapshot, with for example MySQL and innodb database, the datas are losts.
If the RAM is included with the files in the snapshot, when restoring, the system would run the same as the moment when the snapshot was done.. like a kvm live snapshot.

so my questions are :
- is it strongly recommended to nicely shut down the container before dumping it, whatever the system or application is running on ?
- is it in the roadmap to add this great feature of dumping ram context along with the files ?

regards,
Mike

running proxmox v3.2-4
Re: vzdump / openvz snapshot -- ram [message #51512 is a reply to message #51510] Fri, 04 July 2014 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
https://wiki.openvz.org/Checkpointing_and_live_migration
Re: vzdump / openvz snapshot -- ram [message #51820 is a reply to message #51510] Fri, 02 January 2015 12:54 Go to previous message
omgsimple is currently offline  omgsimple
I already recommend shutting down the vps beforebacking it up. from what I've heard is that some files could be corrupt if you leave the vps online as you make a backup
Previous Topic: OpenVZ hosting advice
Next Topic: network issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 11:34:59 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01624 seconds