OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » General advice with Fedora 18 and non-VZ kernel (For the newbie here, issues with kernel and networking)
General advice with Fedora 18 and non-VZ kernel [message #49090] Mon, 18 March 2013 14:21
eriksq is currently offline  eriksq
Hi Everyone,

I was a big fan of Solaris zones when they first came out and I was looking for a way to implement this type of feature on a web / application /database server I run with OpenVZ.

After trying a few things, and poking around I think I may be better off asking some of you about this before I try much more.

I would like to use containers more for security and backups/snapshots than for quotas. Actually I don't care about quotas at all in terms of disk space, but resource management (CPU, memory) maybe but not a must.

Currently the kernel I'm using is 3.8.2, but gets updated rather regularly by the Fedora maintainers. Because of the big difference in kernel versions I'm not sure if I can even use a VZ kernel.

Next, If I don't use the VZ kernel the networking/bridging instructions are a little confusing. I got to this page:

wiki.openvz.org Slash Using_private_IPs_for_Hardware_Nodes

and the first set of instructions uses asterisks and too many vague pronoun references for my old eyes.

So, with all of this, can some one point me into a better and more productive way to get a VE started?

Thank you,

Erik
Previous Topic: Changing reserved-blocks-percentage for ploop devices.
Next Topic: network question in openVZ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:13:21 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01701 seconds