OpenVZ Forum

Home » Mailing lists » Users » Current status of ARM compatability
Current status of ARM compatability [message #47083] Wed, 04 July 2012 13:47 Go to next message
ROBBIE SIMPSON is currently offline  ROBBIE SIMPSON
Hi all,

I'm currently attempting to get OpenVZ up and running on an ARM device (the Raspberry Pi), but am encountering a number of difficulties.

I started by downloading and attempting to compile the current version of the kernel (vzkernel-2.6.32-042stab057.1) but encountered a number of errors (missing arguments, duplicated declarations etc) which lead me to think the ARM specific sections are not currently maintained. While investigating this I also found a post stating that live migration (which we are particularly interested in) is only supported on x86/x86-64.

So therefore I would ask:

a) Does the current version of the kernel actually support ARM? / Were any previous kernel versions known to support ARM ?

b) What level of effort (roughly) would be needed to enable live migration support on ARM?

Cheers,
Robbie Simpson
Re: Current status of ARM compatability [message #47084 is a reply to message #47083] Wed, 04 July 2012 14:07 Go to previous message
Benjamin Henrion is currently offline  Benjamin Henrion
On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 3:47 PM, ROBBIE SIMPSON
<0700899S@student.gla.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently attempting to get OpenVZ up and running on an ARM device (the Raspberry Pi), but am encountering a number of difficulties.
>
> I started by downloading and attempting to compile the current version of the kernel (vzkernel-2.6.32-042stab057.1) but encountered a number of errors (missing arguments, duplicated declarations etc) which lead me to think the ARM specific sections are not currently maintained. While investigating this I also found a post stating that live migration (which we are particularly interested in) is only supported on x86/x86-64.
>
> So therefore I would ask:
>
> a) Does the current version of the kernel actually support ARM? / Were any previous kernel versions known to support ARM ?
>
> b) What level of effort (roughly) would be needed to enable live migration support on ARM?

It is working on ARM for some older kernel versions:

http://openvz.livejournal.com/24651.html?thread=79947

I would ask what is the oldest kernel version pretty close to 2.6.32
that would compile for the Rpi?

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-3500762
"In July 2005, after several failed attempts to legalise software
patents in Europe, the patent establishment changed its strategy.
Instead of explicitly seeking to sanction the patentability of
software, they are now seeking to create a central European patent
court, which would establish and enforce patentability rules in their
favor, without any possibility of correction by competing courts or
democratically elected legislators."
Previous Topic: Ubuntu 12.04 issue
Next Topic: Ubuntu 12.04 template issue (vzctl enter VEID hangs)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 13:50:11 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02308 seconds