OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » new linux user would like to try openvz a few questions
new linux user would like to try openvz a few questions [message #45774] Thu, 05 April 2012 20:24 Go to next message
bluerfoot is currently offline  bluerfoot
before I screw up my laptop I figure it would be best to ask a few questions here. I have a netbook (toshiba n350 2gb ram) and I would like to learn linux using this. I installed an offshoot of fedora (kororaa) and would like to learn in a virtualized environment off this laptop. As kvm will not run and other virtualizations look heavy I would like to give this a shot.

Since Kororaa is basically fedora 16 with some stuff added to it, I am assuming anything I would ask about fedora 16 would apply to kororaa.

1) Are there any known issues running this software on fedora 16?
2) is it an issue using the openvz kernel? From what I read it is actually a rhel 2.6 something kernel. Will this work without breaking the programs I have on Kororaa?

Thanks for listening, again I am truely new to this so I hope I am not asking silly questions here...
Re: new linux user would like to try openvz a few questions [message #45868 is a reply to message #45774] Tue, 10 April 2012 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
It's a fair question and it has been addressed in a couple of threads here before. Basically, current openvz kernels won't work with Fedora 16 due to systemd.

I'd recommend using CentOS 6 or Scientific Linux 6 as your operating system. They are both clones of Red Hat Enterprise Linux and openvz will work perfectly on either.

Also, KVM should work just fine on Fedora 16, I don't know about Kororaa though. A quick glance on their web page makes me think that they prefer VirtualBox.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 April 2012 15:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: new linux user would like to try openvz a few questions [message #45869 is a reply to message #45868] Tue, 10 April 2012 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bluerfoot is currently offline  bluerfoot
Thanks much, I would use kvm but as this is an atom netbook it is not supported and I need the solution that uses the least processor.

Btw I see there is something called lxc that appears to (from what I see doing a yum search) incorporate into the more recent kernels, would this be viable on fedora? is it very similar to openvz? I think I am ready to put centos on the laptop but was just wondering about peoples thoughts on lxc as it says it is a container based solution as well (which is what I will need one way or another on the netbook).

Thanks much.
Re: new linux user would like to try openvz a few questions [message #45881 is a reply to message #45774] Wed, 11 April 2012 11:57 Go to previous message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
LXC should work just fine on Fedora 16, you might give it a try. It's still much less polished than openvz and will take a great deal more work to manage and configure.
Previous Topic: 2.6.32-042stab049.6 and Tomcat
Next Topic: Centos 6.2 + 2x eth (eth0, eth1) problem URGENT: (
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:13:05 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02475 seconds