OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » openvz and new kernels
openvz and new kernels [message #438] Mon, 05 December 2005 09:42 Go to next message
ugenk is currently offline  ugenk

And what is about openvz and kernels > 2.6.8?

WBR, Evgeniy
Re: openvz and new kernels [message #439 is a reply to message #438] Mon, 05 December 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

First, can you give us any specific reason why you need kernel > 2.6.8?

Second, let me explain once again why we stick to 2.6.8 kernel. The reason is the same RHEL4 sticks to 2.6.9 - stability. OpenVZ kernel needs to be rock solid stable, as multiple VPSs depend on a single kernel. To improve stability, we do not port to newer kernels, instead backporting all bugfixes and security fixes from newer kernels. That way, we have all the (relevant) fixes that makes their way to newer kernels, but we are free of new bugs.

At some point though we will open a new branch, rebase to newer linux kernel (it could be 2.6.20 or something)...and will continue to stick to that version until our kernel will be polished.

Hope my explanation is clear and makes sense Smile

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: openvz and new kernels [message #441 is a reply to message #439] Mon, 05 December 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hmm. In first, there is some new features (like mppe, nfsv4, some fixes in ppp, etc) in kernels after 2.6.8 i`m using (in 2.6.8 i need to patch kernel), also there where some vulnerabilites..

WBR, Evgeniy
Re: openvz and new kernels [message #442 is a reply to message #441] Mon, 05 December 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

As I have said above, we do port all the relevant security and bug fixes from the newer kernels to openvz kernel. We have also updated a lot of drivers from newer mainstream versions, vendors' sites and RHEL kernels.

If there is some specific issue you think we are missing and you depend on it (be it a security fix, a bug fix, or a driver update) - please file a bug to bugzilla, we will fix it.

We do not recommend using NFS on OpenVZ kernel.

Why do you need ppp or mppe on OpenVZ box?

Kir Kolyshkin
Re: openvz and new kernels [message #444 is a reply to message #442] Mon, 05 December 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hmm. I dont know, that you do such work.. Now all is ok Smile

WBR, Evgeniy
Re: openvz and new kernels [message #535 is a reply to message #438] Thu, 15 December 2005 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bill_mcgonigle is currently offline  bill_mcgonigle
Is there any work being done towards getting OpenVZ into the mainline kernel?

That way it could work with stock distros and the time spent backporting fixes could be spent on the feature set. Not to mention giving developers the weekend off when a security bug hits Friday afternoon.

(assuming I understand how this works...)
Re: openvz and new kernels [message #536 is a reply to message #535] Thu, 15 December 2005 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yes, we have plans to merge into mainstream kernel. But this process is slow and will take a long time...

Kir Kolyshkin
Re: openvz and new kernels [message #4827 is a reply to message #439] Thu, 27 July 2006 12:03 Go to previous message
alt0v14 is currently offline  alt0v14
kir wrote on Mon, 05 December 2005 06:30

Second, let me explain once again why we stick to 2.6.8 kernel. The reason is the same RHEL4 sticks to 2.6.9 - stability. OpenVZ kernel needs to be rock solid stable, as multiple VPSs depend on a single kernel. To improve stability, we do not port to newer kernels, instead backporting all bugfixes and security fixes from newer kernels. That way, we have all the (relevant) fixes that makes their way to newer kernels, but we are free of new bugs.

but newest kernel 2.6.16.27 now, you have in you patch only 2.6.16.23 witch have 2 security issues. I understand that patch-026test015-combined is only testing, but can you simply give us patch for native openvz support without security fixes included, it be simple to upply it to current 2.6.16 kernel for example.
Previous Topic: Using OpenVZ as a development environment
Next Topic: Disk IO limits
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:46:50 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03080 seconds