OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Benefits of upgrading to RHEL6 OVZ kernel?
Benefits of upgrading to RHEL6 OVZ kernel? [message #43380] Fri, 02 September 2011 16:53 Go to next message
mustardman is currently offline  mustardman
Seeing as there has already been some kernel panic problems with the RHEL6 OVZ kernel I am in no hurry to upgrade production servers.

Having said that, are there any compelling reasons to upgrade sooner rather than later? I am aware of the different way that cpu resources are load balanced and VZswap feature. I am just curious what sort of real world perforance improvement people are experiencing. Any improvement in I/O? My bottleneck problems are all I/O related and any improvement there would be compelling for me.

PS: OpenVZ Rocks!

[Updated on: Fri, 02 September 2011 16:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Benefits of upgrading to RHEL6 OVZ kernel? [message #43506 is a reply to message #43380] Sat, 17 September 2011 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bjdea1 is currently offline  bjdea1
Don't upgrade yet, that's my advice. We already upgraded 2 servers and are regretting it. Its still unstable unless you don't mind rebooting your servers (node) every 1-2 weeks?

I think its just centos 6 is still quite new. I'm considering turning our servers back to centos 5, which is so stable its not funny !

Deasoft.com Hosting/Software
AutoBillMe.com Billing Automation
Re: Benefits of upgrading to RHEL6 OVZ kernel? [message #43508 is a reply to message #43506] Sat, 17 September 2011 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mustardman is currently offline  mustardman
They are using recent RHEL6 kernels and RHEL6 has been out for almost a year now. So any kernel problems would probably be OpenVZ problems. They had one kernel panic problem when the kernel went stable but fixed that within a day so they seem to be on top of that.

CentOS6 is another issue and yes there are some problems there.

If you are having kernel problems you should be filing bug reports. I don't see any recent bug reports like what you are saying for the RHEL6 kernel.
http://bugzilla.openvz.org/

[Updated on: Sat, 17 September 2011 17:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Benefits of upgrading to RHEL6 OVZ kernel? [message #43509 is a reply to message #43508] Sat, 17 September 2011 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
raver119 is currently offline  raver119

mustardman wrote on Sat, 17 September 2011 13:42
They are using recent RHEL6 kernels and RHEL6 has been out for almost a year now. So any kernel problems would probably be OpenVZ problems. They had one kernel panic problem when the kernel went stable but fixed that within a day so they seem to be on top of that.

CentOS6 is another issue and yes there are some problems there.

If you are having kernel problems you should be filing bug reports. I don't see any recent bug reports like what you are saying for the RHEL6 kernel.

Well, i've posted my bug 4 days ago. Maybe its not that critical, but i definitely see difference between 400 iops with cache and 1500 iops without cache Smile
Re: Benefits of upgrading to RHEL6 OVZ kernel? [message #43665 is a reply to message #43380] Wed, 05 October 2011 03:40 Go to previous message
bjdea1 is currently offline  bjdea1
Just to update everyone. After changing from Centos 6.0 to Scientific Linux 6.1 my server problems seem to be over and both servers are now stable, uptime of over 8 days currently on both.

I also submitted a bug - not sure if that was part of the solution too, I did see a vzctl update recently.

Whatever the case both servers seem to be stable now on Scientific Linux 6.1 and OpenVZ kernel 2.6.32-042stab037.1

Deasoft.com Hosting/Software
AutoBillMe.com Billing Automation
Previous Topic: Access to eth0(private network) and eth1(public network) from container
Next Topic: migrate from virtuozzo 4 container to openvz?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 01:31:05 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01878 seconds