OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » It seems RedHat 6 is based on 2.6.34, How will that affect 2.6.32 support in OpenVZ?
It seems RedHat 6 is based on 2.6.34, How will that affect 2.6.32 support in OpenVZ? [message #39661] Sun, 23 May 2010 14:04 Go to next message
shadowdemon is currently offline  shadowdemon
PS: OK, I've rambled a lot, but tell me what you think, even if you can only answer single question.

If RedHat 6 is based on kernel 2.6.34, then OpenVZ will surely want to (have to?) support that too. So how will that affect the 2.6.32 support? Will it be eventually dropped in favour of 2.6.34? After all, they can't support every kernel out there forever...

I've been using Linux for years, but I don't really understand how tightly the OS and other software is tied up to a specific kernel version. If I want to run Ubuntu 10.4 as my container OS (because I like Ubuntu, use it at work, and 10.4 is a LTS), how should that affect my choice of host system? In particular since I understand that Ubuntu 10.4 cannot be used as the host system, which I would have preferred.

Can I *safely* run Ubuntu 10.4 with an older 2.6.18 (or 2.6.24) kernel (the stable OpenVZ kernel)? I read this is possible, as someone already made a template, but I don't know what compatibility problems it might cause, if any.

Can I *safely* run Ubuntu 10.4 with a 2.6.34 kernel, when it will have reached stable?

Is it better (safer) when the host kernel is newer, or older, then the target container kernel? Logically, I would think that a newer kernel is a better choice, as newer OS are usually backward compatible with older software.

At the moment, I do not see a clear choice of distribution for the host, as Debian Squeeze (which should be 2.6.32 based, as far as I know) has not even reached freeze yet, RedHat 6, which is in Beta, will use 2.6.34, which is not supported by OpenVZ yet, and Ubuntu 10.4 itself is 2.6.32, but does not include OpenVZ.

My goal is to replace my current VirtualBox VM (Ubuntu 9.10) with a Ubuntu 10.4 OpenVZ container(s), and then stick with it as long as possible. The host should only be there to run OpenVZ (and possibly KVM as well), so I don't really care much which distribution it is, as long as it's kernel keep the Ubuntu 10.4 containers stable. I would appreciate if someone could help me make a choice that is applicable now, even if that means I should reinstall the host in another 6 months to get long term reliable installation (for example RedHat 6 or Debian Squeeze).

It seems the Proxmox VE would be a good choice, as it is all about running OpenVZ (and KVM), but the "Roadmap for 2.x" list as feature "Firewall" (!) which makes it sound really scary, as that seem to imply they don't have a Firewall in 1.5 (the current version), and I refuse to put a non-firewalled server right into the Internet.
Re: It seems RedHat 6 is based on 2.6.34, How will that affect 2.6.32 support in OpenVZ? [message #39693 is a reply to message #39661] Mon, 24 May 2010 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

RHEL6 is 2.6.32 based. Where have you got different info?

We do care about supporting newer distros on a RHEL5 kernel, by backporting newer syscalls and stuff like that. So yes, you can run ubuntu-10.4 container on openvz rhel5 kernel.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: It seems RedHat 6 is based on 2.6.34, How will that affect 2.6.32 support in OpenVZ? [message #39694 is a reply to message #39693] Mon, 24 May 2010 10:00 Go to previous message
shadowdemon is currently offline  shadowdemon
I interpreted this Blog, which is from "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Team", to mean that they would use 2.6.34. Pardon me if I was mistaken, and caused unnecessary confusion. Sad
Previous Topic: Not Enough Space
Next Topic: VZrestore: Cannot hard link to `./usr/bin/sudoedit'
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 07:31:00 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01459 seconds