OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Network Fails Each Day
Network Fails Each Day [message #26699] Thu, 31 January 2008 01:27 Go to next message
ricoche is currently offline  ricoche
Hello,

So far my OpenVZ system is working fine and I have been able to work inside my VEs without any problem. However, I noticed that each day after I wake up in the morning I check my server and notice that the network is not running. I have to issue a "service network restart" every morning while logged into SSH on the HN to kickstart my VEs. After that, everything works fine.

Is there any reason why my network shutsdown each day? The VEs continue to run no problem, it's just that the network stops and nobody can ping or access the VEs via SSH for example. I am checking my logs but can't figure out what is tripping the system.

Has anyone else had this problem where they have to issue "service network restart" frequently?

Thanks!

Jim

[Updated on: Thu, 31 January 2008 01:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Network Fails Each Day [message #26788 is a reply to message #26699] Fri, 01 February 2008 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ricoche is currently offline  ricoche
Just woke up again today and found everything running except the network again. I have to login via SSH to the HN and the run "service network restart" every morning. Although I am checking the logs, I can't seem to find anything that is causing the network to stop like this on the VE.

After I SSH into HN, I do the following commands:

[root@network ~]# vzctl status 112
VEID 112 exist mounted running
[root@network ~]# vzctl exec 112 service sshd status
sshd (pid 5679) is running...

I then do the following:

[root@network ~]# vzctl enter 112
entered into VE 112
[root@VE112 /]# ping google.com
ping: unknown host google.com

Then I logut of VE112 and restart the network on HN:

[root@network ~]# service network restart
Shutting down interface eth0: [ OK ]
Shutting down interface venet0: Shutting down interface venet0:
[ OK ]
Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ]
Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ]
Bringing up interface eth0: [ OK ]
Bringing up interface eth1:
Determining IP information for eth1... failed; no link present. Check cable?
[FAILED]
Bringing up interface venet0: Bringing up interface venet0:
Configuring interface venet0:
net.ipv4.conf.venet0.send_redirects = 0
[ OK ]

Finally I enter back into VE112 and run the following:

[root@network ~]# vzctl enter 112
entered into VE 112
[root@VE112 /]# ping google.com
PING google.com (64.233.187.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from jc-in-f99.google.com (64.233.187.99): icmp_seq=1 ttl=240 time=22.1 ms
64 bytes from jc-in-f99.google.com (64.233.187.99): icmp_seq=2 ttl=240 time=22.1 ms

Everything works!! HOWEVER, I have to do this EVERY MORNING and I am not sure why that network connection is going down for the VE. Any ideas?

Thank you very much,

Jim
Re: Network Fails Each Day [message #37214 is a reply to message #26699] Wed, 26 August 2009 20:10 Go to previous message
jimp is currently offline  jimp
Did you ever figure this one out? I have system with several containers (in use by individual customers), and one container specifically will cause the HN's network card to go down.

It happens when that CT is rebooted or powered off. It acts as if someone ran "ifdown eth0" on the HN.

My problem sounds similar to your's. Did you ever figure it out or find a work around?
Previous Topic: RSYNC problem in migration
Next Topic: problems with quotes?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 09:56:52 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01812 seconds