OpenVZ Forum

Home » Mailing lists » Users » openvz with VIA C3 processor
openvz with VIA C3 processor [message #3410] Fri, 26 May 2006 11:43 Go to next message
Roberto Pereyra is currently offline  Roberto Pereyra
Hi

I have a notebook with a VIA C3 processor.

Openvz works with this processor ?

Thanks in advance.

roberto

--
Ing. Roberto Pereyra
ContenidosOnline
Buscas un buen servicio de telefonía IP, prueba
http://www.contenidosonline.com.ar
Re: openvz with VIA C3 processor [message #3491 is a reply to message #3410] Wed, 31 May 2006 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
OpenVZ actually works on this processor type, but there is a problem with templates. I've connected recently with Jan Den Ouden, who has tried to get openVZ work on VIA C3:

Quote:

"It turns out that a lot of distributions, during install, will try to install a i686 package for some packages (libc for example) if they detect an i686 processor. So if I create an image on a i686 processor, I can't transfer it to a virtual environment on a C3 processor."

VIA C3 isn't pure i686 processor. AFAIK it's i386. And openVZ templates are created on base of distribution, which relies on i686 platform. So, unfortunaly, precreated templates will not work. =(

However you can create your own template, or just copy your node inside VPS.

Good luck!
Re: Re: openvz with VIA C3 processor [message #3497 is a reply to message #3491] Wed, 31 May 2006 14:06 Go to previous message
kir is currently offline  kir

I'd add that you can try to recreate the templates, say, for FC5, by
explicitly adding .i386 to each line in default.list file (which is in
template metadata) and running vzpkgcache -f fedora-core-5. That way you
will force the installation of i386 packages not i686.

vass wrote:

>OpenVZ actually works on this processor type, but there is a problem with templates. I've connected recently with Jan Den Ouden, who has tried to get openVZ work on VIA C3:
>
>Quote:
>
>
>>"It turns out that a lot of distributions, during install, will try to install a i686 package for some packages (libc for example) if they detect an i686 processor. So if I create an image on a i686 processor, I can't transfer it to a virtual environment on a C3 processor."
>>
>>
>
>
>VIA C3 isn't pure i686 processor. AFAIK it's i386. And openVZ templates are created on base of distribution, which relies on i686 platform. So, unfortunaly, precreated templates will not work. =(
>
>However you can create your own template, or just copy your node inside VPS.
>
>Good luck!
Re: Re: openvz with VIA C3 processor [message #3500 is a reply to message #3491] Wed, 31 May 2006 10:26 Go to previous message
Roberto Pereyra is currently offline  Roberto Pereyra
Thanks for your reply !!

Roberto

2006/5/31, vass:
>
>
> OpenVZ actually works on this processor type, but there is a problem with templates. I've connected recently with Jan Den Ouden, who has tried to get openVZ work on VIA C3:
>
> Quote:
> > "It turns out that a lot of distributions, during install, will try to install a i686 package for some packages (libc for example) if they detect an i686 processor. So if I create an image on a i686 processor, I can't transfer it to a virtual environment on a C3 processor."
>
>
> VIA C3 isn't pure i686 processor. AFAIK it's i386. And openVZ templates are created on base of distribution, which relies on i686 platform. So, unfortunaly, precreated templates will not work. =(
>
> However you can create your own template, or just copy your node inside VPS.
>
> Good luck!
--
Ing. Roberto Pereyra
ContenidosOnline
Buscas un buen servicio de telefon�a IP, prueba
http://www.contenidosonline.com.ar

Edited: vass's e-mail is removed

[Updated on: Thu, 19 October 2006 05:53] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Error recompiling kernel FC4 patched win OVZ
Next Topic: New features suggestion