OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ/Virtuozzo - SOLVED
OpenVZ/Virtuozzo - SOLVED [message #33528] Mon, 20 October 2008 09:34 Go to next message
wilf is currently offline  wilf
As luck would have it, I have a prospective customer who is already running virtuozzo. I use OpenVZ and I'd like to ship up an OpenVZ instance to my customer to be run under Virtuozzo.

I know how I'd do it with OpenVZ, but haven't a clue with Virtuozzo.

My base instance is Gentoo, as are my ve's. I recognise I'll have to ship my portage tree aswell, but my questions are:-

Will Virtuozzo be happy with an OpenVz image I have bz2 tarred up and scp'ed over, once un-archived Smile.

Is there anything special I/the customer will have to do to get up and running?

I have had a quick shufti to see if this question has already been asked, if it has then please point me at the thread.

Best regards, Paul.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 October 2008 11:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OpnenVZ/Virtuozzo [message #33585 is a reply to message #33528] Fri, 24 October 2008 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
locutius is currently offline  locutius
in the absence of an answer from a dev ...

the difference between openvz and the licensed product is the control panel. allowing for the licensing, the base code is identical
Re: OpnenVZ/Virtuozzo [message #33586 is a reply to message #33585] Fri, 24 October 2008 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you!

I thought I had asked a really stupid question, so stupid it was beneath anyones dignity to post a reply Smile

Best regards, Paul.
Re: OpnenVZ/Virtuozzo [message #33587 is a reply to message #33586] Fri, 24 October 2008 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the senior people on this forum have very little time, they focus on the bugs. when i have a question i need answering i hang in the forum, i think many people are the same as me because most of the time vz just works and we dont come here

i guess you already know the following:

your customer needs to create a config file for the CT with the resources he wants to assign and give it an IP

also update the service configs in the CT which use an IP e.g. httpd etc
Re: OpnenVZ/Virtuozzo [message #33589 is a reply to message #33587] Fri, 24 October 2008 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have had more than my fair share of quality help, so I am not complaining. I am truly impressed with OpenVZ.

I was fairly sure the environment would be similar; I had hoped to find a Wiki entry comparing the two, but either I missed it or it doesn't yet exist.

Does Virtuozzo also have a /etc/vz with a conf dir containing the conf files?

Whilst I am a Gentoo user, my prospective customer uses Fedora.

Thanks again,

Best regards, Paul.
Re: OpnenVZ/Virtuozzo [message #33590 is a reply to message #33589] Fri, 24 October 2008 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
understand i am guessing! i have not seen a Virtuozzo installation. but knowing how open source works i imagine openvz is simply Virtuozzo stripped of the branding and control panels

you would do well to advise your customer of the (lack of) wisdom of running a production environment on Fedora. it is a desktop distro and so unstable it is a nightmare even on a desktop. updates breaking things everytime

if he likes RedHat then he needs CentOS
Re: OpnenVZ/Virtuozzo [message #33591 is a reply to message #33528] Fri, 24 October 2008 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree. Centos would be a good way to go - I hadn't thought of that Smile

I presume if the customer was running Centos 5 they could then use RHEL5 OpenVZ rpms?

Paul.
Re: OpnenVZ/Virtuozzo [message #33593 is a reply to message #33591] Fri, 24 October 2008 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes RHEL5 and CentOS are identical. all i caution is not to mix repos and use yum unless absolutely necessary to use an rpm (and never force it). but CentOS 5 is fully supported within OpenVZ

i have been running vz since CentOS 4 on both AMD and Intel. i have had no problems migrating CentOS 4 CT's to CentOS 5 HN. OpenVZ and CentOS fit really well

all my boxes are 64_bit and i caution against 64_bit because when you have a 64_bit box alongside a 32_bit box the 32_bit box is the stress free box. there are fixes in the wiki for 64_bit issues but they got broken by latest releases (i refer to the yum fix which didnt work for me 3 weeks ago)

that was my latest box i tried 64_bit again then 1 week later reinstalled back to 32_bit

my host boasted to me that he had many OpenVZ systems running 64_bit but he didnt know what he was talking about when it comes to maintaining and troubleshooting issues. 32_bit is way easier

Re: OpnenVZ/Virtuozzo [message #33599 is a reply to message #33590] Fri, 24 October 2008 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Well, Paul, locutius,

i'll try to answer to this topic.
First of all, locutius, you are not completely right (although almost right).
http://wiki.openvz.org/Virtuozzo

Apart from the control panels VZ also contains VZFS and SLM, which seems to me to be important enough to be mentioned. Smile

And mostly because different filesystems in VZ and OVZ it's not enough just tar /vz/private/CTID on OVZ node and untar it on VZ node. This won't work.
At the same time directory structures are rather simple in both VZ and OVZ so admin can easily understand where to put data tar-red on OVZ node.

How to create an OVZ Container to VZ Container in a most simple way (from my point of view):
1) stop OVZ CT and tar /vz/private/CTID directory
(please, also give him CTID.conf - this might be important, for example you could customize there something like IPTABLES)
2) create a VZ Container with required resources (on a VZ node). Template name/version does not matter.
3) on a VZ node go to /vz/private/CTID and remove all data from /vz/private/CTID/root/ for vz3 or /vz/private/CTID/fs/root/ for vz4 directories and put there untar-red data from OVZ node.

Something like this.

Quote:

Does Virtuozzo also have a /etc/vz with a conf dir containing the conf files?

vz3 - yes
vz4 - that dir contains links to CTs config files located in /vz/private/CTID/...

Hope this helps!

--
Konstantin

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Re: OpnenVZ/Virtuozzo [message #33600 is a reply to message #33599] Fri, 24 October 2008 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks Konstantin!

Re: OpnenVZ/Virtuozzo [message #33601 is a reply to message #33599] Fri, 24 October 2008 11:41 Go to previous message
Thanks, Konstantin - that's really helpful and just what I and my customer wanted/needed to hear.

Thanks also, Locutius.

Best regards, Paul.
Previous Topic: Trying to learn and asking some questions
Next Topic: Networking problem VE - How to start
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 13:27:44 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01499 seconds