OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » VMWare inside OpenVZ?
VMWare inside OpenVZ? [message #33433] Tue, 14 October 2008 14:46 Go to next message
rduval is currently offline  rduval
I know this may sound a bit crazy but has anyone tried running VMWareserver 2.0 for Linux inside an OpenVZ Container?

I have a couple of Windows VM machines that I'd like to run but don't want to dedicate an entire server running VMWare for 2 small vm's.

Thanks

Rick
Re: VMWare inside OpenVZ? [message #33446 is a reply to message #33433] Tue, 14 October 2008 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kenjy is currently offline  kenjy
I think that it is impossible.

http://kenjy.net |Live net !!!
Re: VMWare inside OpenVZ? [message #33451 is a reply to message #33446] Tue, 14 October 2008 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard that but I don't understand why?

There's a version of VMware that runs on linux so if I have a servere, running OpenVZ and a container running Centos5 for instance I effectivley have a Centos Machine right?

Now if I run the linux version of VMWare Server (which would run on a real hardware machine running centos) why wouldn't it work?
Re: VMWare inside OpenVZ? [message #33456 is a reply to message #33451] Wed, 15 October 2008 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hello,

in spite of the fact that this is a very specific request I've tried to conduct the experiment.

I have a VmWare workstation. OpenVZ is installed there.
So my plan was to create VE and inside that VE setup VmWare workstation with running virtual Windows inside.

I had to slightly change vmware scripts.
I was very close to success but came across the problem
"
No, it is not possible to run a VMware product inside a VMware product.
"
http://communities.vmware.com/thread/63287

If you want you can conduct the same experiment on physical node. May be you'll be success.

The following steps were done:

- OpenVZ - 2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.028stab057.2
- VE based on fedora-7-default template
- install appropriate ovzkernel-devel package on the HN and inside VE
- install VmWare workstation on the HN (to be able easily load modules on the HN)
On the HN:
- vzctl stop $VEID
- vzctl set $VEID --capability sys_module on --save (but it's very insecure)
- vzctl start 101
- mount --bind /lib/modules/2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.028stab057.2 /vz/root/$VEID/lib/modules/2.6.18-92.1.1.el5.028stab057.2
- /etc/init.d/vmware stop
Inside the VE:
- install rpm/tarball with vmware project
- open /etc/init.d/vmware script and do vmware_load_module() function always return 0 (just comment out string with insmod command)
- find isLoaded() function and change {n = "no";} to {n = "yes"}
- start Vmware installation script. It should stop vmware services and then ask you some questions. After it stops services open /etc/init.d/vmware script and change {n = "yes";} to {n = "no"} in isLoaded() function.
- after that installation should pass without any problems.
Then on the HN:
-vzctl set 101 --devnodes vmmon:rw --save
-vzctl set 101 --devmodes vmnet0:rw --save
-vzctl set 101 --devnodes vmnet8:rw --save
-ssh -2 -c blowfish -X user@$VE_IP_ADDRESS
And then inside VE run vmware
- vmware

P.S. This is no the exact howto just some notes about the problem. I don't know if I change vmware scripts in the best way. I haven't think a lot about it.
Also if you have any problems about modules already loaded during the installation process you can unload them on the HN with command "/etc/init.d/vmware stop".
Vmware could refuse to start. You can try to force it to do that by deleting /etc/vmware/not_configured.
Anyway the described notes are not the universal panacea. Please, play by yourself a little bit. I wish you success! Smile
Re: VMWare inside OpenVZ? [message #33457 is a reply to message #33456] Wed, 15 October 2008 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow!

Thanks for all the hard work and the detailed notes.

I will give it a try from there on the physical machine although I'm not as experienced as you.

Re: VMWare inside OpenVZ? [message #33458 is a reply to message #33457] Wed, 15 October 2008 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Changing vmware scripts I use the only one principle: we cannot manage with modules from inside the VE (lsmod shows nothing, insmod failed).

And I forgot to mention that some times ago I installed kde inside the VE and libXfont packages.
Re: VMWare inside OpenVZ? [message #33466 is a reply to message #33433] Wed, 15 October 2008 15:08 Go to previous message
kenjy is currently offline  kenjy
Agree, you can't load modules inside the VE.

http://kenjy.net |Live net !!!
Previous Topic: zaptel compile in container
Next Topic: [Fedora 9] switch root: mount failed: no such file or directory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 09:34:58 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01614 seconds