OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » VEs cannot find DHCP server
icon5.gif  VEs cannot find DHCP server [message #32192] Thu, 24 July 2008 20:31 Go to next message
ubcrockstar is currently offline  ubcrockstar
Hi, I'm currently running a DHCP server in a host OS (not inside a VE). I think my server is working just fine since other Host OSes get DHCP offers. However, none of my VEs get DHCP offers, and I'm having a hard time figuring out why.

I've tried bridging both eth0 and the veth of each VE using bctrl and setting NETWORKING=yes inside /etc/sysconfig/network. When I run dhclient inside a VE, it gets nothing.

My VEs are running on a CentOS 4 template while my host OSes (including where the DHCP server is running) are using Fedora Core 6 [2.6.18 028stab053.14]. Both hardware nodes are connected via a router (a D-Link Green Ethernet one)

I'm trying this solution right now ( http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=tree&goto=32191& #msg_32191), but I doubt that it will work because that solution is for VE running a server. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. How come virtual ethernets have two MAC addresses?
Re: VEs cannot find DHCP server [message #32217 is a reply to message #32192] Sat, 26 July 2008 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kenjy is currently offline  kenjy
As far as I know openvz can't work with dhcp if you use venet but not sure Confused, try veth virtual devices.

http://kenjy.net |Live net !!!
Re: VEs cannot find DHCP server [message #32239 is a reply to message #32192] Mon, 28 July 2008 06:22 Go to previous message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
I haven't used veth devices nor have I used dhcp-clients in my containers... but I know there are a number of wiki pages on the subject... especially those describing the differences between the venet and veth devices. You have probably checked out several of those pages... but I'd recommend you have another look and see if you can find what you are looking for.

I'm not sure how many people use dhcp-client inside of their containers due to the complexity involved in making it work. Feel free to contribute to the documentation if you find a solution to your problem and find the existing wiki pages incomplete or lacking.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Previous Topic: empty precreated templates?!?!
Next Topic: Kernel Oops - Openvpn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Oct 06 09:37:37 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04238 seconds