OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Transfer rate from inside container?
icon5.gif  Transfer rate from inside container? [message #32089] Sat, 19 July 2008 18:36 Go to next message
hedbanger83 is currently offline  hedbanger83
Hi,

My host server is on a 100Mbit connection. I installed openvz and set up a couple containers. I haven't done anything that I know to to limit the transfer rates of the containers, but whenever I enter one of the containers and wget some decently sized file from the internet, It averages about 500KB/s. Whereas a wget for the same file from the host runs at up to 10MB/s.. I looked at the traffic shaping with TC page, and if I follow the example for incoming bandwidth I can limit it perfectly fine. For example I can set it to limit at 10kbits and the download rate from the container goes down to like 2KB/s, but if I use TC and set that containers IP to 100mbit, it still never transfers at more than 500-600KB/s.. I thought I was all ready to go, and then I realized this annoying issue. I really don't want to limit the bandwidth of the containers at all, incoming or outgoing. I just want them to use all available bandwidth.

Any help would be great.

Thanks much,
Kyle
Re: Transfer rate from inside container? [message #32090 is a reply to message #32089] Sat, 19 July 2008 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hedbanger83 is currently offline  hedbanger83
sorry if it is annoying to see posts like this, but i can't find any info relating to my problem Sad
Re: Transfer rate from inside container? [message #32093 is a reply to message #32089] Sun, 20 July 2008 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
foxi is currently offline  foxi
Hi,

I just gave it a try and transferred the actual jdk (75MB) from my workstaton to one of my OpenVZ-machines (one of five active ones on a 933MHz server, very little load) with scp. Transfer rate was 7.5MB/s (75MB in 10s) on my 100MBit network. I used OpenVZ since several years for professional web serving, and I only experienced network problems like your's, if something else was wrong, usually DNS or routing issues. Maybe you should have a look at these.

Regards, Frank.

foxi.
Re: Transfer rate from inside container? [message #32108 is a reply to message #32090] Mon, 21 July 2008 15:42 Go to previous message
sspt is currently offline  sspt
Have you tried to increase your tcprcvbuf barrier & limit?
This UBC parameter can directly affect your network performance without increasing the failcount.

You can find more info about tcprcvbuf at
http://wiki.openvz.org/Tcprcvbuf#tcprcvbuf

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-user.png
Previous Topic: openvz and openafs
Next Topic: Nat inside VE - openvpn again
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:04:03 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01437 seconds